1986 Honda Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Knight_Wolf
Noob
Noob

1986 Honda Spree

Post by Knight_Wolf »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the moped thing but I have a bit of a problem, I bought a 1986 honda spree and noticed the guy put oil in the gas, well I drive it home and eventually it died, now when I go to start it, it will not start at all, the oil tank had nothing either, so is my moped completely shot? I do not know why he had an oil and gas mix, with no oil in the tank :crazy: Any help would be great thanks!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Re: 1986 Honda Spree

Post by bfowler »

Putting oil and gas in the gas tank is called premixing. Lots of people do it after they upgrade the engine to bigger cc because the stock oil pump doesnt supply enough oil. As long as the guy put in enough oil, your engine should be fine. If you're gonna use the oil tank, check to see if the oil pump is working properly. Perhaps it is broken and that is why he premixes. If its stock you can run the oil pump with no problems.
Knight_Wolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Knight_Wolf »

Hello, Thanks for the reply

The guy said it was running on premix 40:1, and I looked in the oil tank and it was empty, I was told I need a whole engine rebuild because the guy ran premix, really sad because I really liked the spree too :(
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

Running premix doesn't do harm to your engine unless you are not adding enough oil.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Knight_Wolf wrote:Hello, Thanks for the reply

The guy said it was running on premix 40:1, and I looked in the oil tank and it was empty, I was told I need a whole engine rebuild because the guy ran premix, really sad because I really liked the spree too :(
You won't need to do an engine rebuild. Running premix does NO HARM to the engine as long as enough oil is added to the gas tank.
Knight_Wolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Knight_Wolf »

Thank you,

Wow I do not know now, I know I put 40:1 in so if thats not it, spark plug mabe? I was riding it and it gave out, here is a link to when it died before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fthQpP0V ... e=youtu.be

It was doing this a few times before it would not start a few days later.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Hmmmmmm from the video it seems like a seize or a soft seize? Scooters need 3 things to run, compression, spark, and fuel. Have you done a compression check yet? If your spree had a seize then your compression will be low. Do a compression check and get back with the results. It will help us help you figure out what is wrong. Start with compression.
Knight_Wolf
Noob
Noob

Post by Knight_Wolf »

I wish I could but do not have the tools :( thank you for your help
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Knight_Wolf wrote:I wish I could but do not have the tools :( thank you for your help
Go to your local auto store like autozone or oreily auto parts. They usually have loan-a-tool programs and they most likely have a compression tester that you can borrow. Bring it back within 24 hours and its free of charge.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That sounded like a seize to me, did the rear wheel lock up when it did that? Did you check all of the air intake parts, it might not have been lack of lubrication it could have been running lean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock