Zuma clutch question

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

btosi
Goped
Goped

Zuma clutch question

Post by btosi »

Hi all,

I have a stock 2003 50cc Zuma, with 10k miles. It has had a new top end and Yamaha belt about 1500 miles ago. The only non OEM part is a complete polini 2 shoe adjustable spring, clutch assembly including bell, PO owner installed that. That was disassembled, cleaned and regreased. I am running 7 gram weights and a white malossi main spring and blue (I assume Polini) clutch springs. The scooter runs and starts good, but I am being passed by every stock rental POS Zuma on the island. According to the speedo at wot I am going 34-35 mph, not sure I believe it. If I try a lighter main spring it boggs down. I weight 145lbs. I have 5.5, 6 & 7 gram weights. I did try lighter weights but that seemed to affect my top end. Am I correct in my thinking that heavier weights would help increase top end by moving the belt out farther out and lighter weights help with take-off. I did tighten the nuts 1 turn for the clutch springs to add more spring load but not sure what that does. My questions are, what does adding more or less clutch spring load do and if anybody has any suggestions on what else to add please let me know. My only thing is I want to stay stock I will change weights, main spring or clutch spring. The other reason for this is my wife has a stock 99 Elite and I want to keep up with it.
Thanks
bonesv

Re: Zuma clutch question

Post by bonesv »

Bob, can you try putting a stock zuma clutch back in it? Try to return it to stock set up - springs and all. Is it a new belt? Also, what is the compression reading now, and what does Yamaha say it should be? Try and get a baseline to start with and then when you add, or modify, it will be easy to see the results. Just my 2.5 cents.......Oh, and by the way, that's a bonesv built, stock '99 elite sa50 that you are trying to keep up with! :hi:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
btosi
Goped
Goped

Post by btosi »

Update!!
I made the assumption when told the drive belt was new it was new. I took it off, measured it, the belt was a couple of millimeters below the minimum. Got a new belt and let's say the elite looks good in my rear view mirror (sorry bones).
But that did not come without losing it on the takeoff. I currently have 5.5 gram weights and a white main spring in the Polini clutch. I do have a stock clutch to try (thanks DSD) but the polini bell does not fit it. DSD has the correct bell just need to get with him and try it out. Hope to try it all this week. Thanks to all!!
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

:lol: this is awesome
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow