Accidentally started it with engine kill on I think I F'd up

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Accidentally started it with engine kill on I think I F'd up

Post by Littlesprite »

So I finally got my scooter home and had a friend help me out with it since this is my first scoot. He couldn't find anything wrong with it besides the fact that the previous owner didn't put something back in properly in the carb. (Which was fixed now)

So I've had it two days, it RUNS GREAT. I go out tonight to turn it on the check on it since I wasn't home today, and I forgot I turned on the engine off button.

I went to start it and it made a horrible noise. (Because engine kill was on so it can't start) I realized what I forgot and then turned off the engine kill button.

But now it won't stay on at all, it turns over but won't stay on again. And I'm pretty sure I just did a big no no. I hope I didn't f*** up anything that I'll need to repair, I literally was so close to taking it on the road. I just needed a new tire and a helmet.

I'm going to call my friend in the morning, if letting it sit for a bit doesn't solve the problem.

I'm pretty mad at myself for making such a dumb mistake, but it is late so I guess it's best I make dumb mistakes at home where I don't have to tow it, again ahahah.

Any advice would be great so I can stop kicking myself in the *.
Edit: I'm a bit concerned about the noise the scoot made when I tried to turn it on with kill switch on. It was like a grinding screech almost it sounded horrible.

UPDATE: I got it to start after I jiggled the kill switch and actually heard it click. Took it off it's kick stand and Viola!

Then I toon it for a spin because it didn't want to stay idling unless I gave it throttle. So I gave it throttle! A lot! So much that I got thrown from the scooter in a turn and the scooter took a tumble as well.

I got a few scrapesand bruises my favorite pair of pants are shredded up now, but I got right back on and now he scoot runs absolutely great. Better than it did before even.

Oh yeah and the key got bent up pretty bad. It still works though! I have to get a spare key any way so now I have even more reason to.

So for now it's not flooded anymore and I'm going to go bandage up and ice my self.

I definitely need more practice driving. I've done the same thing while on my bicycle and I'm not proud of it ahahaha.
Last edited by Littlesprite on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Accidentally started it with engine kill on I think I F'

Post by eclark5483 »

Uhm, obvious question. Did you change it back from engine kill to run and then try, or is it still set at kill engine?
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

eclark5483 wrote:Uhm, obvious question. Did you change it back from engine kill to run and then try, or is it still set at kill engine?

I changed it back to run and it still won't stay on. Obvious but good question. I hope I just flooded it and it will be okay later. It is doing the same thing it was a week ago when it was flooding so hopefully I didn't break anything.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Now, what do you mean by, "won't stay on"? It starts and runs for a couple seconds then dies? Is that what you mean?
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

eclark5483 wrote:Now, what do you mean by, "won't stay on"? It starts and runs for a couple seconds then dies? Is that what you mean?
Yep! It turns over, but won't stay idling. It sounds choppy instead of peppy while it is on. Then it just dies.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Well, highly doubt flipping the kill switch is what is causing the problem, but then again. Those switches are old. I wouldn't use the kill switch if the key is functional. Have you tried something very basic like jiggle the run switch a bit?

It was an 84' yes? So no way you can try kick starting. Tried holding the throttle back about 1/8-1/4 in while starting? Whatever you try, don't burn out the starter. If it starts, give it some moderate quick revs to slowly bring up RPM's. Take it from there.. If it dies, come back, if it runs while playing with the throttle... come back... I need to get my rear to bed. But I know someone will tag in here and help.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Engine is flooded. Wait 30 minutes and try again later.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

eclark5483 wrote:Well, highly doubt flipping the kill switch is what is causing the problem, but then again. Those switches are old. I wouldn't use the kill switch if the key is functional. Have you tried something very basic like jiggle the run switch a bit?

It was an 84' yes? So no way you can try kick starting. Tried holding the throttle back about 1/8-1/4 in while starting? Whatever you try, don't burn out the starter. If it starts, give it some moderate quick revs to slowly bring up RPM's. Take it from there.. If it dies, come back, if it runs while playing with the throttle... come back... I need to get my rear to bed. But I know someone will tag in here and help.

I think you're right. It has something going on with the carb so it's probably just that.

I'm going to give it a more thorough run through when I get home from work kr actually in the morning since it will be late when I get back. I think it's my battery, it'sbeen draining fairly fast. Whatever it is I feel better aboutit today. I'm learningat least, right? Haha
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

noiseguy wrote:Engine is flooded. Wait 30 minutes and try again later.
It smells like it's flooded. I came out his afternoon when I got back from errands. It turns over, doesn't idle, and dies out. So same as last night.

I noticed it smelled like gas though so it's definitely flooded.

There's a part in the carb that keeps coming loose it seems and it just lets the gas in way too much. I'm going to check the battery too just to be sure before I do anything else. Maybe a fuse too. But the horn and lights still work perfectly.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Sounds like your carb has failed and is causing an extremely rich condition... if you have continued problems w the carb I'd suggest getting a rebuild kit, or new complete carb. A new oem-style carb should cost like $30-50 I think, or just start replacing the stuff you kno you want to anyways- carb,manifold,reeds,big bore, exhaust- I consider it a waste of time to buy stock replacement stuff like carbs,mufflers, or cylinders/pistons. Might as well upgrade unless you just wanna keep it stock.
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

benji wrote:Sounds like your carb has failed and is causing an extremely rich condition... if you have continued problems w the carb I'd suggest getting a rebuild kit, or new complete carb. A new oem-style carb should cost like $30-50 I think, or just start replacing the stuff you kno you want to anyways- carb,manifold,reeds,big bore, exhaust- I consider it a waste of time to buy stock replacement stuff like carbs,mufflers, or cylinders/pistons. Might as well upgrade unless you just wanna keep it stock.

I was thinking of doing that too. Might as well.

I just went out now that I'm back from work. I jiggled the kill switch a bit and turned it on off, and when I turned the engine on run I actuallyheard the switch click. Which I didn't before.

I actually got it started (took it off the kick stand as well) and kt ran peppy, not choppy and sad sounding. Then it stopped idling and died again. (Bit nit before I yelled a triumphant YEEEEESSSS)

It's had a whole day to sit so of it's flooding then the carb is definitely failing. Wouldn't be the first time.

I want to take it down the street to run ot of I can sincet seems to keep going as long as I give it some throttle. Not sure if it's a good idea since it's a bit dark, bjg the streetis quite right now. More than it will be in the day time.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Littlesprite wrote:I noticed it smelled like gas though so it's definitely flooded.

There's a part in the carb that keeps coming loose it seems and it just lets the gas in way too much. I'm going to check the battery too just to be sure before I do anything else. Maybe a fuse too. But the horn and lights still work perfectly.
Your float valve needs replaced and/or float valve seat honed. Both are simple to do.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

I wonder if perhaps the Air fuel screw was adjusted and is set too rich.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)