Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Getting the Tazland BBK, GEARS, + MLM ran on a dyno

Post by deuce217 »

I would love to get a top speed video. Consistently 45mph on flat ground, I might just call him up and buy it back again just to make some videos.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

1man8scoots wrote:Dont expect much power if you're shutting it down at 280. 370 on the dyno is where we do if we cared about the engine.
I'd guess you'll make around 4-5hp out of the spree.
I guess what worries me, is blowing the BBK. It won't be broken in, it will be pretty fresh and that's kind of asking alot out of it considering I am experimenting with an oil/gas premix that hasn't been done. I mean, I guess 35:1 should be sufficient for a break in, but Dyno?? Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I suppose if I blow it I blow it and can just swap out the engine with my spare, but I was wanting to use the spare (AF05 variated), in another Iowa Spree once I find one. So you think I can go 370?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

OK, gas mix and injector oil were dropped off. My syringe didn't have any markings to adjust to 70:1, so I decided to just bump up the oil just a tad and went 64:1 in the tank. Talked with Shawn about when we can coordinate to do the Dyno. He's booked up tomorrow, not open on Sundays, and I work 12 hour shifts (4 pm-4:30am) through the week, so we are gonna shoot for around 7 in the morning sometime next week so that I can get to bed on time.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

:popcorn:
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I didn't know you work at Polaris. I work on so many polaris atv's I know them better than my wife. lol

Polaris has so many electrical gremlins.

Taz
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

That's because the electrical components are made in China. Don't know about the ATV's because the Spirit Lake facility only does motorcycles, but almost all our parts are made right here in the USA. I had actually had a discussion with Bennett Morgan when he came to the plant last time (he's retired now) and had inquired about opening up my own business making wiring looms and what kind of startup capital I would need, investors, sources, etc.. The bottom line is, Polaris would gladly accept an offer to in-source electrical components, the more made in the USA the better, but the harsh reality, is it's actually cheaper for them to buy their stuff from China. But, at least our motorcycles are more American made then Harley.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

tazland001 wrote:Polaris has so many electrical gremlins.
Are the connectors high-ingression protection... are they triple-sealed? US auto went to this decades ago b/c of connector issues.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Some are, some aren't. Depends on where it's at on a bike. ATV's, not sure what they do, but check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GH_GXEUaOs
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

So do we get to see this thing run on a dyno?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Yes, the guys are busy ATM. I am also busy. I work 12 hour shifts during the week. Trying to coordinate time to do the dyno and film it. Not very easy when we both have commitments. Will get the results to everyone when I can. Sorry for any delays. Just bare with me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

OK, here are a few initial first run videos. Haven't got the air/fuel mix dialed in yet. All in all, the Spree ran lean at the start. Tuesday were gonna do some more runs but will be changing the dynamics a bit. I told him drain the gas out of the tank and we'll do a run with just the pump. It seems that the engine is getting way too much oil. The tank has 64:1, plus whatever the pump is putting out. Best guess is it's running about 34-35:1 in the lean condition we were getting. IMHO, way too much for a tiny engine, even with the BBK. After scaling back the oil a bit, the lean condition improved as I'm gonna show in the other videos I am uploading. I'll talk a bit about what is going on and what was being done as I post them.

In this first video, this is the BBK on the Dyno with the airbox in place. It's pretty much what you would expect to see... lots of smoke from the tailpipe, very poor performance, and take a look at that stoich!! PATHETIC!!

EDIT: We were shooting for a 12 stoich Per graphite9's thoughts. If anybody knows any different at what it SHOULD be, please chime in here!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPzenyqi24
**NOTE** RPM setting was wrong this run, top RPM this run, was around 4,000rpm.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In this second video, the top of the airbox is removed and we see it start to come alive a bit more. I'm gonna say that THIS video, is probably the one showing the best peak horsepower and torque thus far. You'll notice it hits 35 mph at about 4300 RPM (actually 8600 rpm)((CRUISING SPEED!!! :thumbsup: )). Best guess is that the MLM pipe starts kicking in at around 17 or 18 MPH as you will see in the video.

Towards the end of the video something started smoking and the engine died and you hear Shawn cuss.. he thought the smoking might have been his tach clip burning on the MLM. Might it have been a soft seize?? Might it have just died because the airbox was wide open?? It was hard to say what happened... gave us a bit of a fright, thought we might have blown it or something with all that smoke, but we pressed on and had no more smoking after adjusting the tach clip for the other tests... But anyways... here is Test 2:

EDIT: Just so people know, the reason the Dyno run was halted in test 2 at around 36mph was because of the smoking. In test 3 it was halted around the same range because at that point, we still didn't wanna try pushing it to it's full rev just yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9brcNS3NCMg
Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In this quick video (Test 3), same conditions as the last one, airbox lid off, filter on. No smoking this time, pretty much same results. Stoich is still not where we wanted it to be. Engine dies at the end of the run, we can assume because no top on airbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Z7SxJw8Cs
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In this next video, the air filter is taken off and the bike is ran with straight air with nothing blocking it. It seems to be running pretty nice and can hit the RPM's OK. We didn't push it too hard, but the results of having no air restriction at all made it lose torque and lose horsepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBb9SlOpWCU
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

In this final video, the Spree achieves 39.3 MPH. This is where we start testing out air box blocking. Again, the test is KIND OF run with no air box lid, no filter, but is blocked half way off. What we discovered is that the spark plug was fouling. It was more then likely getting too much oil fed into it. Horsepower and torque again, was reduced. Shawn and I both agreed that we were feeding the BBK too much oil. He had other things to tend to as did I, so we decided to call it a night. Again, Tuesday we plan on doing some more runs. I told him I would upload the videos here on the forums, let you guys examine it, give your input over the labor day weekend, and we will take it from there. Couple things to note, the filter that was used is the original one that came with the Spree when I bought it. It was an aftermarket one, thicker then an OEM, and a quite dirty. I DO have a brand new Honda OEM filter to install on it, but the tests that I am showing for now are just some basic ones showing different scenarios before I put the oiled OEM filter on and do any air box drilling. Would LOVE to get feedback from you guys before Tuesday. Plan on bringing the POD filter with me to see how that works out as well. As you can all see the air/fuel ratio is VITAL in getting the Spree to run right with the BBK, as well as the oil/fuel ratio.

One thing Shawn would like info on, is the carb. He's not used to working with these kinds of carbs and would like pertinent info on them if you guys can guide me in the right direction. He's trying to determine if a jet increase might be needed, or if he can dial in the correct air/fuel ratio working with that #90 main jet. He's not sure exactly how they get adjusted.

But anyways... here ya go guys.. the FINAL (for now), run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnf-bt6L3Bo

EDIT: BTW Peak horsepower so far (from test 2), is 2.97, keep in mind though, the test was halted because of the smoke, so HP is probably much higher. And one thing that we noticed, was the rear tire was rubbing on the kickstand. Looks like the rim is kind of bent too... so.. looks like I'm gonna need to hunt down a rear rim for it and deal with that rubbing issue. Tires were changed from 2.50x10 to 2.75x10's, wouldn't think that would make too much of a difference, but I AM getting some rubbing.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.