Which engine mount to put a variated af05e in a Spree?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Which engine mount to put a variated af05e in a Spree?

Post by Kustomkarma »

I know it's been covered, but I can't find the post. Which engine mount do I need to put a variated '88 af05e into a '84 Spree? While we're on the topic, can anyone direct me to a thread or post that covers the swap?

Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Which engine mount to put a variated af05e in a Spree?

Post by Meatball »

I just did one of those swaps last Summer. I used an AF05 from an 87 SE50 and used the mount from that bike. It had to be modified as explained here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _Swap_Info

I know the variated AF05 was in other bikes/years like the Aero or 88'+ Elites but I don't know about mounts from those. Maybe others can enlighten us both on the topic.

Some of the things I needed to make it work was a weld-in shock mount bracket sold by SSS. The shock needs to mount further back on the frame and that bracket works perfect for that. Also need the rear wheel from the new motor. The Spree rim wont fit due to the spacing on the brake hub. Metropolitan wheel also fits.

Some of the wiring connectors changed from bullet style to plug-type but the wire colors are all the same. A pack of spade connectors is the cure.

Besides that, everything else fits like a charm
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Did the airbox and exhaust fit under the stock Spree plastics?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The shock bracket lifts the bike up to its normal ride height. Without it, the exhaust will sit about 1/2" from the plastic and crush into it when you actually sit on the bike and compress the shock.

The airbox is huge and wont fit under the plastic. The Spree plastics are super slim compared to the fat elite ones. Remember the Spree airbox was tucked in with the motor, unlike the Elite that's on the side. I used an angled UNI pod filter and upjetted to #90. It ran like garbage until I restricted the UNI with a series of trial-and-error attempts until I found the perfect flow.

Bike ran sweet all Summer and still does with over 1000mi, mostly wot. Holds 40 on flat all day and climbs hills at 35. I beat the crap out of my bikes and the usual throttle positions are either 0 or 100%. Rarely anything inbetween. Its taken everything Ive thrown at it so far.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for the info. I have access to the complete unit and am trying to figure out what I need. Do you know the part number for the filter you used? I wonder if I could just restrict the filter a lot rather than upjetting.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I'm using a DJ-1 motor mount for my engine swap project since I couldn't find an Elite mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282236964781

Part number: 50350-GR1-880

The filter Meatball is referring to, I believe, is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KOKNDE

What you could consider doing, is finding an adapter that will expand that back inlet, and place a Polini pod filter on it with cover, and block off holes 1 by 1 till you get the right back pressure you need.

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Get the stage 6 filter that is angled over these polini ones. I can't stand these filters.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if a sa50 and se50 engine mount are the same?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

This is the info I have gathered.......the se50 has a shorter "neck" on the tang. The early sa50's is taller and needs to be chopped and rewelded to fit into the spree frame. Please correct me if this is not true.
sa50.jpg
sa50.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
se50.jpg
se50.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

bonesv wrote:the se50 has a shorter "neck" on the tang. The early sa50's is taller and needs to be chopped and rewelded to fit into the spree frame.
Bones knows his shizz. If that "tang" doesn't go into the frame hole, youre screwed. The taller sa50 mount just wont go without some chop/weld action. Its certainly do-able if you have the welding skilz to get er done!
Attachments
SpreeSE50MountCompleted_End.jpg
SpreeSE50MountCompleted_End.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The wiki shows one cut being flush-ish with the arm of the mount. However, if you look close at the picture above you'll see that the cut is about 1/4 inch away. Thus, leaving behind the weld bead on the arm. If you were to cut it flush, the weld would be gone and its integrity would be severely compromised.

The cut on the opposite side of the mount is very small. All that needed to be removed from mine was the small protruding center sleeve that the bolt slides into. I supposed you could describe it as just removing the "nipple" sticking out. No cutting was needed on the outer/larger barrel.

I fine tuned my cutting work with a bench grinder to get the mount to sit squarely in the frame. My first test-fit was slightly askew.
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Post by Kustomkarma »

Ok so it looks like I need an SE50 engine mount. Which cables do I use - stock Spree or cables from the donor SA50 that the engine is coming from? Which throttle control? Are they all the same? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The rear brake cable from donor bike will need to be used since the Spree cable is too short. Also, the new motor requires a Y-type throttle cable with one end going to the carb, the other to the oil pump. You always have the option of deleting the oil pump and pre-mixing your fuel. Therefore, the Spree throttle cable would then be used.

If you plan to keep your motor stock, keep the pump and use the Y cable. Being able to stop at a gas station and pump in a quick $1 in fuel without having to mix oil sure has its benefits.