1985 Spree won't turn over

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

simmerdown
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree won't turn over

Post by simmerdown »

Hello all,

My buddy gave me his 1985 Spree because it wouldn't start. Problem is the starter won't turn the engine over.

I have tried multiple batteries (confident it is not the battery) and replaced the starter.

I can take the plug out and it turns the engine over with the starter no prob.

Was wondering if maybe the oil injection is dumping too much oil causing a hydraulic locking condition?

Does anyone know how to determine if I am getting too much oil from the oil injection?

Any other suggestions on why this thing won't turn over?

Any info/advice is appreciated!!
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: 1985 Spree won't turn over

Post by kevinv710 »

if took the plug out its turning, then the plug maybe too long.....still needs to check battery enough power or not, atleast 12.8v or higher.
simmerdown
Noob
Noob

Post by simmerdown »

Thank you for the reply kevinv710.

I will check the battery voltage again tonight to confirm.

Do you know what the correct plug is for the 85 Spree?

Overall the Spree is in pretty good shape and really want to get it going again.
motormike

Post by motormike »

simmerdown wrote:

Was wondering if maybe the oil injection is dumping too much oil causing a hydraulic locking condition?

Does anyone know how to determine if I am getting too much oil from the oil injection?
Yes, oil can cause the Hydro-locking you describe.
When sitting for long periods, the oil can continue to bypass the O-ring seals inside the pump
and slowly invade the cylinder and subsequently, the crankcase.
You are likely NOT getting too much oil pumped, but only getting leak-past oil dumped into cylinder.
Checking the oil pump flow is a difficult process to measure accurately.
Most people will put pre-mixed fuel in the tank, run the engine with the oil line removed, and monitor the flow.
If the crankcase has FILLED with oil, one possibility to remove oil is by removing carburetor and reeds, then
inserting a hose through the intake into the crankcase and siphoning out oil with a "turkey baster" or similar squeeze-bulb.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Correct plug is BPR7HS. I would pull the plug and see of you get pull spraying out of it turns over at that point. Hopefully someone diddnt put a longer reach plug in it, not sure if an ES longer reach plug would be long enough to jam the piston or not.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
simmerdown
Noob
Noob

Post by simmerdown »

Thank you for the replies everyone!!!

Battery voltage checked out good, and no visible damage to the plug, assuming no contact.

It definitely drops a lot of oil when it is turning over with the plug removed. It sprays pretty good out of the plug hole.

I will check to see if the crankcase is full. This maybe possible. This Spree sat for quite a long time, but it seems to be a nice little machine.

Thanks again, I'll post if the oil has filled the crankcase this weekend to hopefully close the thread.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

I had this same problem a month ago with my 85 Spree too. It had been sitting since September, and when I went to start it, it turned over once and hydro-locked. Pulled the plugged and turned it over and oil was coming out like Niagara falls :lol:

Needless to say I got it running after cranking it over with my drill, and by using LOTS of rags to absorb all the oil coming out the spark plug hole when I had the plug out. I just pulled the fan cover and fan, and hooked my drill up to the flywheel, that way I wouldn't burn up my starter for turning it over for so long. But yeah it ran perfect after all that. :)