Stock Spree Exhaust Question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Stock Spree Exhaust Question

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

So i have an 84 & 85 Spree's. Like most Spree guys, I'm trying to get every lil ounce of performance I can out of the NQ50 motor. Yes, I know it's slow....bla bla buy an AF16 (I am). The exhaust is diff on the 84. Is their any benefit to using the 85 ? It looks a lil beefier and larger. I'm lucky enough to have 2 Spree's. I want to build an NQ50 (bbk, MLM pipe, Taz gears, and Taz carb kit when it comes out. The 85 is going to get the AF16 and be a drag bike.

Wheelman-111

Re: Stock Spree Exhaust Question

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Word on the Forum street is that the later Sprees generally outperformed the earlier ones. The SB50 Elite "E" got the absolute most out of the non-variated Spree AF05 basic design.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

Thanks wheelman I was thinking it might be a little better. I thought it wouldnt hurt to ask with all the knowledge. Im sure some one has tryed this too, I just didnt find any results when I searched.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yeah, theres a few little tricks...Kitaco Intake, reeds from an sb50, use a domed piston from 86-87 with a head from 84-85, etc....but youre swimming upstream with that motor. Everything will get you 1mph faster than before...inching up the performance ladder. Then you get into BBK($100) Gears($75) MLM Pipe ($230) Carb ($100) In my opinion, not worth the time, money and effort.

By the time you have $$400-$500 into it with countless hours of labor, you'll go a whopping 35mph if youre lucky. Close to a grand to go 40. Ive been down the rabbit hole with the Spree motor and once I saw how deep it was, I turned back. Some have gone all the way and kudos to them. I assure you, more people know where Jimmy Hoffa is than have Spree motors that can go over 40.

Any more questions...see my avatar.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

I asked about the exhaust because I have a spare that would not cost anything but my time to swap it out. Like most I had big spree dreams at first and then I came back down to earth and realized a non variated one cylinder engine probably wont ever be that fast.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Best bet is a modified Jiang Wayne. You'll have to do some cutting and welding to make it work. Pipe is like 50 bucks, worth it if you can modify, waste of time if you can't. Not a very easy hack.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The "one cylinder" part isnt the issue. Ive actually been amazed by the capabilities of these little motors. Its the non-variated part and the fact that there is basically zero aftermarket parts available for it. Aside from Taz's handywork, of course.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Spree. We all do to some degree. However, if its "fast" you want....the Spree motor just cant give it to you.

I dont consider 35-40mph to be fast. Once youve gone 60mph on 10" tires you'll know what I mean.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

I think is possible to make a stock spree go 40 or faster. throw some different gears in there. If they don't make the gears I would make my own. Not a lot of power though.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

I hit 32 in my 84 on flat, 35 down hill. Instead of changing my exhaust I thought I need to get some baseline (lol) testing. Is 2500 miles a lot for a Spree?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

2500 ain't nothing, it still has many miles to give. I gained about 3-4 mph with a modified Jiang Wayne on one of my Sprees. 50 bucks well spent. Had it professionally modded to work. That was another 50 right there.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

The most sensible, and value worthy upgrade path for a Spree, is outlined in the wiki here.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _and_Spree

If you want to make your Spree go faster, follow that path in the correct order and you'll be good.

To break that down, it's

Code: Select all

Step 1:Enlarge stock manifold (skip the Pulley mod) 
So before you try anything else, give the Spree better intake lungs. Thinking of a better pipe? Maybe a BBK? Bigger jet like a #68? All 3?? I like you all ready, welcome to the world of the Spree. So, no matter if you do one and a combo of any of the other of these things, they each have 1 thing in common with each other. They would ALL benefit from having a better intake system, so START THERE. You can get to the BBK, GEARS, MLM, ETC,ETC, CACHING, CACHING later. Either take your own intake, or buy a cheapy off of eBay to practice on, get a dremel with a cone stone wheel, and port the intake yourself. Don't waste 1 more dime trying conventional tricks on a quest for "keeping up with traffic", or the ever elusive wheelies. It's all gonna come down to your intake. Start there, or swap it out now for an AF16/DIO. Sprees don't go fast, they run well. You have to bring the engine up to the level of the Elite E first if you want more performance. If you have no way of doing this, then DO NOT upgrade your Spree anymore. Safe bet, is preserve that engine, and maybe wait for Taz?? You'll really gain very very little going forward, unless you address the intake system of the Spree. You start where HONDA started when they took full advantage of the AF05.

Info on porting is found in the wiki here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _the_Spree

Step 2 Mill head / increase compression 
This step can be skipped for the most part, but it does play a key role in final compression. If you recently won the Megamillions jackpot and live in Illinois, and can afford to have it done, then don't play games.. Use the head from an 84-85' Spree, and lets get some precision milling done for an awesome squish!! Otherwise.. meh.. skip it, your good.... moving on..

Step 3 Enlarge exhaust port 
    Step 4 Construct expansion chamber 
OK, NOW, we can talk about your muffler kid.. er.... 40somethingish dude/chick.. who cares? But anyways, so now that the intake was taken care of, hows that Spree running now that you've been riding it around with that intake revamp and cleaned out muffler.. You DID clean the muffler already right? Of course you did, just asking. Go bold, or go home on this one. Swapping an 84' muffler for an 86' would only be for aesthetics. No real gains worth writing to grandma, who gave it to you, about. Again, think to yourself.. hmm, what would HONDA do? That again, means for any real gains, you must bring it up to the level of the Elite E. Not in the budget? No big deal, a CLEAN muffler that has been BBQ'd should perform just fine for your needs. Skip it, but keep it in mind. But got some cash to "LITERALLY" waste, You can test out your high school Junior year shop, welding skills, spend 50 buck on a Jiang Wayne pipe, hack it to fit the Spree, and get HONDA type performance, or REALLY go on a (spending) SPREE, and buy an MLM people's pipe with a tuned expansion chamber.

Step 5 Upgrade to SB50 manifold and reeds
OR... get a better reed system when you take care of step 1. At this point, you have either already saved yourself a step by doing this in step 1, or you call this the next step. Look for SB50 reeds, which are often sold on eBay as "SPREE REEDS", read the wiki and learn the difference and what to look for.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... _the_Spree

The object here, is make sure the AF05 block that came stock with your Spree, can get full advantage of a more open intake system. By now, your Spree should be running like a beast if you have completed these steps. You'll find it is so much more robust. One thing to note, up until this point, you SHOULD be using your stock air box with a clean filter. After completing the steps to allow the Spree to breathe better, you may now experiment with aftermarket pod filters. You may now consider a bump up in the main jet size. Largest size Honda used was a #68, you may be able to use a #70 or higher with a pod filter. Please note EVERY engine that you come across, will probably need a bump up higher in the main jet if you switch to a pod filter system. It is still however, recommended that you preserve the air box system. You may be able to let it breathe better with some small holes drilled in the airbox since it can now breathe better with intake porting/change, but do not drill or modify your airbox unless you have performed step 1&5, and only do so with small holes placed close to the normal inlet on the lid.

All THAT is done and done?? Good, NOW, next step..

Step 6 Bore kit 
Time for a Taz kit friend.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/chopchop*123

I honestly wouldn't buy one, unless FOR SURE, step 1 and 5 are done and done. Got it handled? The Taz BBK, will now be able to unlock some fun on stock gears. Whatever top speed you are capable of with it, you should, at this point, be already able to achieve if you have already followed steps 1-5. The BBK, is gonna make hitting that top speed so much quicker. Your jetting will change at this step. You'll have to fine tune it. If your 25mph Spree only gained to 30mph, maybe 32+ by doing steps 1-5, then keep the BBK expectations in that speed range. Low geared Sprees ( 84'-85'+All Year Iowa Editions) are the most fun for take off with a BBK. Mid gears like the 13T (86'-87' non-Iowa Edition) are the most street worthy for in town. Should be good for 35+. High gears get you past 40 with awful takeoff. Don't even consider the next step without doing step 6 first.

P.S. Welcome to the 4HP+ Club. Ain't it a blast!!

Step 7 Gear ratio change 
We had a classic car and bike rally in town the other day, so mine wasn't the only one cruising. I'd be at the stop light and I could twist the throttle and be able to lift my (300+lb fatazz) feet up to the floorboard without having to give it a Flintstones push to keep it going, but acceleration from a dead stop will annoy people in back of you slightly, at least till you pick up to 10mph, then it flows well into traffic at 40+. Great for long stretch driving, terrible for block to block traffic lights. My skinny 115lb daughter can get on it and just GO!! For a realistic speed boost, skip the fries with that cheeseburger fatso. It's a Spree, you got 1 gear, choose high or low, you can't have it both ways and that sugs the big one. Myself personally, I chose BOTH ways. Of course... took me 2 Sprees. 1 for congested driving, 1 for open. If ever there is a time you should rethink by saying "keep up with traffic", it would be now, define "TRAFFIC"

Step 8 Upsized carb
Congratulations on making it to this final step. If you were an idiot, and went out and bought a brand new carb instead of redoing your stock carb, you kind of wasted some money. I hate to bring this up now, but you do not need a new carb to do steps 1-7. Step 8 can, and can't make much of a difference, depending on it's application before hand. For instance, lets say in step 1, you decide you want to upgrade the intake to an SB50 intake, which only has 1 hole for vacuum. Upsizing/upgrading the carb in that case, helps. A Polini (17mm MAX) carb, has the needed extra nipple for feeding the oil pump into. You simply hook it up there. Otherwise, you need no other carb to run a well ported Spree intake system with SB50 reeds.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

1:Buy an AF16 for about $300+-...install.

2:Use the Spree motor as a paper weight to hold down all the money you just saved. Prop open that pesky door that keeps blowing shut. Boat anchor? Target practice?

3:Pop wheelies and do 40mph+ while you laugh hysterically.

4:Install a nice rear-view mirror to watch all the guys with Spree motors pump their fists at you.

5:Return to forum...thank Meatball.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Meatball wrote:I love Spree. We all do to some degree.
...micropscopic, molecular, infinitesimal degree.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I like Sprees too. I would buy one if a clean unit popped up nearby. It's a different kind of fun, but still fun. Quit being Debbie Downers. Long live the Spree, in any stock or modified form you can make it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

SpreeorDie85 wrote: Is 2500 miles a lot for a Spree?
To answer your question again, 2500 miles is just the beginning for your spree. :)

Check out this pic I took of my one 1986 spree back in May while I was riding, yup, you read that right, 25,000 miles! It was used nearly all its life daily at San Francisco airport. See, if you take care of spree properly, it will last forever. And the engine is all original never been rebuilt.

Also, your 1985 Spree appears to have a 1986 Exhaust on it. Maybe its an 86 spree? But anyways, swapping them doesn't really change anything, trust me, I've done that numerous times and have had 87's on 84's 85's on 86's, no difference.
Attachments
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG (68.35 KiB) Viewed 9936 times