Spree Soft Seizing after 48mm BBK.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

miglia-spyder
Noob
Noob

Spree Soft Seizing after 48mm BBK.

Post by miglia-spyder »

I am in the middle of the first tank (break-in period that Taz recommends). I added the 2 caps of oil to the tank. I am still using stock oil injection. The motor soft seized after 5 minutes of half throttle cruising. It did sit for about 3 years before i put the BBK in it. I am wondering if maybe the oil injection is not functioning properly or whats causing it to run lean. I noticed it isnt smoking at all.

I am going to premix the oil 50:1 and see if that works.

Any other advice?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree Soft Seizing after 48mm BBK.

Post by DeanP »

Disconnect the oil injection and go with 32:1.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Your oil pump is fine, did you port the intake or change to an SB50 intake and reeds, or are you just using the stock setup? You MUST upgrade to Elite E performance before the BBK will run correctly. See this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34653

DO NOT premix 50:1. You will over saturate, run lean, and blow the piston. The correct ratio with oil pump, is 96:1 in the tank.
Jonadz
Spree
Spree

Post by Jonadz »

Follow eclarks link, to many of us have soft seized that kit, 2 options, number 1... follow his build to a T! Number 2...CanÔÇÖt believe IÔÇÖm the first one to say this... swap in a dio!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Here ya go. THIS will fix the problem and make you fall in love with that BBK.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34705
miglia-spyder
Noob
Noob

Post by miglia-spyder »

Well thanks guys. I may just buy a stock piston and cyl for this bike. I was looking for a little more power and with decent reliability. This kit is being sold with a jet for the stock carb. From the way he sells it, he makes it sound like its pretty much plug and play with the stock carb. so if that's not the case, ill just return to stock and stick with the slow bike.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

miglia-spyder wrote:Well thanks guys. I may just buy a stock piston and cyl for this bike. I was looking for a little more power and with decent reliability. This kit is being sold with a jet for the stock carb. From the way he sells it, he makes it sound like its pretty much plug and play with the stock carb. so if that's not the case, ill just return to stock and stick with the slow bike.
The most economical option for giving a Spree " a little more power and with decent reliability" is by swapping the motor for a better one. The Spree BBK has been proven to be a viable upgrade WITH a list of other supporting mods as laid out by eclark. Installing the bigger bore by itself will leave you with endless overheating issues and perpetual frustration.

Its similar to wanting to make your 4-cyl Honda Civic faster. Sure, you can modify that 4-banger with racing parts and turbos, having the end result being an un-reliable race motor being basically as fast as a STOCK V-8 muscle car. In this case, it makes more sense to spend the cash on swapping in a stock V-8 motor. Not only would you have the power and reliability of the better motor....you can upgrade from there if you choose and go insane fast later. :2thumbs:

Oh yeah....SWAP IN A DIO!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

spree bbk issues...
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

miglia-spyder wrote:This kit is being sold with a jet for the stock carb. From the way he sells it, he makes it sound like its pretty much plug and play with the stock carb. so if that's not the case, ill just return to stock and stick with the slow bike.
Yeah, he does need to work on his eBay description skills a bit. Needs to take into account not everyone who wants to try one of his kits has first stopped here on hondaspree.net and researched what they need to do.

The kit does indeed work well with a stock carb, and does indeed work well (plug and play) on an Elite E (SB50). It is 100% compatible with the Spree as well. The problem though, is a stock Spree intake can't handle the added displacement. It's like trying to breath through a bar straw. The easiest solution is a basic adapter that lets you convert the NQ50/SB50 intake port to a DIO type port, which is what his carb kits offer. Truth be told (and Meatball was discussing this with me earlier)... all you really need is the adapter and you can buy the rest separately from various other vendors at a cheaper price.

I bought 2 kits myself the other day to replace what I am using now, and honestly, all I really need out of it is the adapters. I plan on selling the carbs. I think if Taz would sell just the adapters with gaskets, it would probably be more beneficial to alot of people who want to use a BBK. They could then bargain shop for the intake and carb on their own, or even get a CP adapter and just keep the stock carb.

EDIT: Also, as an FYI, an Elite E (SB50) engine, is the exact same engine as a Spree, with the only major difference being the intake and reeds (and muffler). Keep the BBK, research the boards, figure out what you need to do and the best way to do it for the best price. Tons of info here to help. And WATCH OUT for those eBay stock pistons if that's what you want to revert to. They are very low quality junk. You already bought the BBK, don't give up, follow through. You won't be disappointed once you figure out what needs to be done. I have so much fun with both of mine, and I'm actually a motorcycle guy. I have no issue with swapping an engine, but it's not as simple as unbolting and unplugging the old one and slapping in a new one.. RESEARCH!!
miglia-spyder
Noob
Noob

Post by miglia-spyder »

Thanks for the Advice Eclark. I am not opposed to buying a new carb.

So if i understand correctly. If i buy this carb kit, I won't be able to use the oil injection because the new carb doesn't have inlet for the oil injection?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Correct. You have the options available that I and motormike outlined. Kinda like Mike's idea of tapping the intake and adding an extra nipple best quite honestly. Reason being, I am a firm believer in letting a carb do what it was meant to do.. supply gas. When you burden it with supplying oil as well, you aren't getting as much gas being fed through as you'd probably want. Though there are advantages to just deleting the pump and running 32:1. I have found though, that running 96:1 in the tank with the pump supplementing you, makes for a better takeoff and acceleration. This is due to the linear plane of oil that the pump puts out based on RPM. The Spree likes less oil at take off and more at higher RPM.

This is what I personally use in a 17mm: https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... 6775293701

It has a couple nipples in front for extra vacuum and oil lines, though going that route, you'd have to invest more money and also buy throttle and choke extender (if desired). FOR SURE though, you'll want Taz's intake adapter to make all the magic possible.

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Got the kit, I can confirm it does indeed have the extra nipple for oil injector. So you WILL NOT need to delete pump, buy a different carb, or tap any holes in the intake.

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

wait so in order for the kit to not seize i need to buy a carb and intake?
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

I wish I saw eclark's thread before I gave up my Spree BBK. Tried to get it to breath properly with stock carb but it was too finicky and not enough power for my needs so I gave up.