Gyro - general thread

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

catch22!
BMX
BMX

Re: Gyro - general thread

Post by catch22! »

Well, after three original carbs and a Chinese one, I finally got the gyro running correctly.
The air/fuel valve brass tube in the bowl has a very small hole it it that is a b**** to get clean.
I drilled out the first carb, but the hole is so small that the carb ran way too rich.
Second carb had the same issue, broke off a needle cleaning this one out.
On the third carb, the tube was open, but I found the PO broke the bystarter off in the hole.
Fortunately, it came out with only a little work.
Then, I found the PO broke the nub off for the throttle sleeve.
This is a plastic piece.
I was able to tap one out of one of the other carbs and it pressed back in to the new carb.

So, bike it running good. Took it for a long run and got up to 27 mph.
Still putting out a good amount of smoke, even with fresh gas.
Checked the pump and it is dead on for the indicator with the throttle wide open.
Will run it for a couple of long runs and see if it continues.
One concern is that it drips oil out the exhaust.
Transmission oil is fine, so I don't think there is a leak from there into the case.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

TG50 Gyro heat pressed seat covers are now available from Thailand with free shipping. My original TG50 seat had a couple of holes punched in it the size of quarters, and I was not happy with my repair on it. I got one of these replicas from Thailand. They have the correct heat pressed lines, and are much more original appearing than anything else on the market, as far as I know. I installed one on my TG50, and while it is somewhat difficult for an amateur to install, a professional will have no trouble. I fitted it myself, and it was a bit tough for me as an amateur to get the wrinkles out at the bend in the seat. Bottom line though is that I am pleased with the result. See:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A722-HONDA-TG50 ... 82&vxp=mtr

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

That seat cover sure does look good. I've got an '86 with a black seat ('85 TG50) that needs one of those :thumbwink:
catch22!
BMX
BMX

Post by catch22! »

Nice to see there are companies trying to get parts to be as original as possible. Think we could get them to make battery and carb covers?
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Can anyone help me identify this variant of the Gyro? Approx year and model name? Looking to purchase it to tinker with, and maybe capitalize on some coin :naughty: . Im thinking its an 85-86 Gyro S (More specifically the 86 since its the only year with Monza Red?)? Would this be considered a model that Gyro gurus look for? I have never seen one in person. My brother inlaw's boss man just has it sitting in his shed and took a pic for me but didnt give me any details.

motormike

Post by motormike »

Yes R1Titan911, 1986 TG50M Gyro S.
Ebay sellers often try to get $1500 for pristine, low-mile examples, but never have I actually seen that much paid.
I've bought 5 Gyros in the last 8 years.
2 1984 NN50 Gyros $300 & $400 respectively...BOTH in excellent conditon..SOLD the pair for $1k.
3 TG50M Gyros...$600, $340, and $800.
I wouldn't buy the pictured bike for more than $400-500, and then ONLY after I had verified compression to be good and cables, gas tank, and starter motor to be sound and operative.
OEM (rear) tires are unobtanium, but substitues work fine.
Engine parts are also no longer sold, so missing and worn parts are a problem to find.
The truth is, the bikes are an amazing mechanical odditiy that behaves like no other...in a very good way.
First generation Gyro 1984, on the other hand, is nothing like the re-designed Gyro S.
I will never sell my 1985 gyro S, I like it that much.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Thanks MotorMike! Yea he wants $500 for it but that's without my inspection. Ill let you know how it turns out.
motormike

Post by motormike »

R1Titan911 wrote:Thanks MotorMike! Yea he wants $500 for it but that's without my inspection. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Hope you can convince seller to accept less or else at least allow you to connect 12 volts
and spin it over to have some confidence in the condition of the starter motor and the piston not froze.
With that much known, the $500 asking price is not bad.
I have sold most of my spare parts, but I DO HAVE a good gas tank should you need one.
Cables can be made or adapted.
Don't trust me...ask vintagegarage about the first time you take a corner WOT.
Also, don't expect to modify with speed parts because there is no aftermarket to support such.
However, even in stock configuration, the Gyro S is a formidable competitor against 50cc
pitbikes in a mini-motard race.
Attachments
Gyro print.JPG
Gyro print.JPG (98.32 KiB) Viewed 11761 times
Gyro photo.jpg
Gyro photo.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 11764 times
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mm is right.. you will have a lot of fun riding the Gyro and will always come home with a grin on your face..
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

heres some pics of my 84nn50. I picked up the wheels on buyee. thought thesev hubs would work but I was wrong. back to the drawing board. I have mike checking some measurement for me. I need a hub with 19t spline in 15mm diameter shaft with 80mm brakes. same as spree and express incidentally. the ones I have are 19t splines in 19mm diameter, with 95mm drum. any ideas, let me know. thanks
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (570.76 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (581.13 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I have a nice running blue 1984 NN50 that I need to do something with this winter. It has a badly broken front fender (the front half is completely missing) and it is also missing the small plastic carb cover.. It rides very well, and I hate to throw it away. I'm either looking for a non-running one near me with a Florida title, or else I'm looking for someone near me who has a non-running one who could use parts from mine. None of the plastics on mine are perfect when you look at them closely. They have never been painted and the original paint is shiny, but there is a chip, or piece missing, or big crack in most every plastic part. Please let me know if you have one near me, or need parts for yours..thanks!
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

d***. I wish you were closer to me. id take her off your hands!!! mine was in about the same condition with 260 miles on it. all the white plastics I purchased on yahoo auctions japan to replace the broken ones on mine. also a 1st gen aero fender fits and is a close match to the nn50 front fender. I had one on mine till I got the correct one. just some options for you...… I wonder what shipping would be from fl to ca?? id buy a set of stream or Joy fairings and turn that 84 into one of them, now theres a couple funky looking scooters for ya. so weird, I think they're awesome!!! lol
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I am still looking for a non-running 1984 Gyro in Florida with a Florida title.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Too rich for me, but here is an NN50 glovebox posted on eBay today.. have seen photos of the blue gyro in the add before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-FIND-8 ... ctupt=true
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I just got a white one for my 84. was mis marked as a tact glovebox. got it for $65 shipped. tried to post a pic but it says image too large. that blue one is a jdm scooter. no side reflectors on back, blinkers are in taillights also. I wish I had an engine cover though... good find though