Runs fine... when I can get it started!

Need help with your non-Honda scooter? Yamaha, etc? Post here!

Moderator: Moderator

cancunia
Spree
Spree

Runs fine... when I can get it started!

Post by cancunia »

OK, so first I have to confess this is not about my Honda Vision, but about a 1997 Suzuki AE50, known in Canada as a Hyper Scooter or Hi Up.
I bought the scoot, seduced by it's apparently stock 6.5 BHP and with looks that are very similar to the Honda Spree with the intention of seeing if I could get 40-45 mph out of a standard 50cc moped. As soon as the weather gets better, I'll give it a clean and post some pix.

The problem is that after a week of standing, it won't start unless I spray something like brake cleaner or carb cleaner into the spark plug hole. Then it'll fire and normally will start. When taking the plug out, I can see it's wet. Once started, it runs really well & idles well with no misfires, it revs easily without issue. Before I bought it, the scoot had been in storage for a number of years, when I drained the tank into a glass jar the fuel went cloudy after a few minutes so am guessing there was a fair amount of water in the tank.
The engine runs faster when first started so am guessing the choke is fine. I've cleaned the carb, drained the tank and put in a new plug. Next day, it'll start fine but leave it a week.. As it runs ok after it starts, I'm assuming the fuel is not contaminated any more.

I'm assuming that this is not specific to Suzukis so may be of use to Honda owners, any thoughts for things to check or try would be gratefully received.

---
Update:
I did some more searching online and came across this post on Moped army...

"i own a suzuki ae50 and i got often the same problem try shoot air in the upper right hole in the carb with a compressor if you got one if not, try putting direct gas in the compression chamber thru the spark plug hole. and kick start it with the air or gas. hope that help"

Looks similar to my problem. I think the 'upper right hole' he's talking about is where the float chamber vent goes. For some reason that pipe is about 2 feet long and ends up in a frame tube. Maybe so that you can blow in it? :-)

Sorry for the non Honda post, but thought it might be of some use / interest.

Thanks
bonesv

Re: Runs fine... when I can get it started!

Post by bonesv »

https://www.google.com/search?q=1997+su ... 1kTWAn-QXM:
This looks similar to the jog. It may be fuel evaporation in the carburetor bowl from sitting for a time, OR, as the honda's have this same issue, the oil pump seals are allowing oil to seep slowly into the motor causing a "lean" condition until extra fuel is added to bring it to fire.
:*: I thought it a strange suggestion to blow air into the carburetor vent to help get it started? But who knows! Let us know what you find and good luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

I put a fuel filter just before the carb and can see that it's empty after a few days, so just like the Honda scoots and others the fuel must slowly evaporate. My Honda Vision will take a bit of starting after a couple of weeks but this one is just not playing ball. I tried it today and it started fine after yesterday's efforts. It's possibly an oil problem but the pump on these squirts direct into the carb and from taking the oil feed pipe off the carb, there's no obvious leakage but will put a jar underneath the pipe at some point to see.
Given that a bit fuel or similar in the plug hole makes it fire, it's almost certainly a fuelling issue of some kind. I'm guessing that a bit of extra air pressure in the float chamber would force fuel up through the jets or into the choke so maybe that's it, and maybe you need a compressor as there's another vent from the float chamber for the overflow.
In March, I'd never seen a variator ever, or a small 2 stroke on a bike for a long time, now I'm hooked......
cancunia
Spree
Spree

Post by cancunia »

OK, so I left it for over a week. Temperature outside was just about freezing point and the scoot showed no signs of wanting to start so I blew into the carb vent pipe while spinning the starter .... and it started almost immediately! I noticed before when I last had it running that the engine would slow when I blew into the pipe. The air blown in the vent goes out the overflow , must be just enough change in pressure difference to allow a bit more suction on the inlet and making the mixture that bit richer.