SA50 plastic assembly

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

52much
Spree
Spree

SA50 plastic assembly

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: Has anyone ever seen any info on putting all the plastic and skirts back on a sa50? There has to be a better way than the way I am doing it. The skirts seem impossible to get on and aligned without damage to tabs.
ansneds
Spree
Spree

Re: SA50 plastic assembly

Post by ansneds »

Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: Thankyou for the u tube. It showed taking it apart, which is always easier than reassembly. I think I saw one broken tab on one skirt. Skirts give me a lot of trouble on reassembly.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

52much wrote::coolcruise: Has anyone ever seen any info on putting all the plastic and skirts back on a sa50? There has to be a better way than the way I am doing it. The skirts seem impossible to get on and aligned without damage to tabs.
If you get all the tabs inserted on the upper part of the skirt first, then "snap-in" the lower side next to the battery compartment, then do the bottom along the foot rest area last. That's the easiest way I know how to get that done without damaging anything.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What Bonesy said... Reassembly in the reverse order of disassembly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: Thanks for the feedback. Has anybody had any luck reattaching brocken tabs on skirts?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

52much wrote::coolcruise: Thanks for the feedback. Has anybody had any luck reattaching broken tabs on skirts?
No, don't waste your time. Drill a small hole on the edge of the shirt and one on the edge of the panel, then loop a zip-tie thru them to hold the skirt onto the panel. Keep in mind these parts are getting scarce to find in nice condition so do a good job and no one will notice your ÔÇ£fixÔÇØ.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: I just hate seeing wire ties on them. I am experimenting reproducing the tabs with limited success but I am very persistent.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

There's more to these flexible plastics than meets the eye. They are injection (Or Roto-) molded using a slurry of polyethylene mixed with short fibers of some material - perhaps graphite? If a tab breaks, you may be able to heat-weld the outer plastic together, but you can't reproduce the internal structure of the short fibers crossing the broken line. It might be possible to "weld" a tab back in place but it will lack the strength to retain itself against traction forces because of the lack of these fibers across the gap. I've tried too, without success.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: I am currently using a product called plastex.yuo can make a mold of the tabs, then reproduce hem where they are missing
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

52much wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:39 pm :coolcruise: I am currently using a product called plastex.yuo can make a mold of the tabs, then reproduce hem where they are missing
Any progress on this repair technique??
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

52much
Spree
Spree

Post by 52much »

They can’t take a lot of abuse but they do work.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I have had some success with supergluing the broken piece on, letting it dry, then use superglue and small strips of paper. kinda like paper meshi? ive also tried this with 2 part epoxy. it can be a bit wasteful having to wait for each layer to dry before applying the next. you end up losing the excess epoxy also. I like the super glue better for this reason.