possibly starting a shop

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

possibly starting a shop

Post by benji »

Hey guys, I've been thinking about starting a shop for a little while. Something small that I can work out of w/o having to make someone else rich.

For a while I was thinking about doing a retail car stereo shop, since I'm good at that and have alot of customers and connections, but lately I've been thinking of doing a scooter sales and repair shop, maybe after market parts. I've gotta buddy who does motorcycle sales, and he doesn't do too bad flipping bikes. He just buys em cheap at auction or cl, details em n repairs/replaces parts on em. I kinda wanna do the same w scooters.
motormike

Re: possibly starting a shop

Post by motormike »

Making a shop profitable is a huge task.
I am not trying to discourage you...quite the opposite, go for it....BUT...
Seek advice from graphite9 about his trials before you spend much time doing anything else.
Acquiring a dealer license takes money...renting space, stocking parts, paying surety bonds, utilities, advertising...etc.
The list continues to grow.
My choice is to work from home, stick with buying and selling, and keep ALL the profits in my pocket.
True, not making BIG money here, just keeping busy and having loads of fun.
I consider it a hobby that pays a small dividend occasionally..and I always have bikes to ride... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

benji wrote:For a while I was thinking about doing a retail car stereo shop, but lately I've been thinking of doing a scooter sales and repair shop, maybe after market parts.
I say do it all! No need to limit yourself in one market if you have skills/knowledge in multiple areas. Good Luck!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I'm not tryin to be rich- I just don't wanna work for the man haha. I've been working for myself on n off for the past few years, doing side work in the warmer monthes and having to find a shop to work for during the winter. Licensing isn't huge- its like $165 for a business license, bond is another thing tho, n so is shop rent n power. I'm picking up a couple scooters to try out my hand at the art of "flipping" scoots. If I make enough maybe I can convince myself to go solo.

Im not really down w doing to much aftermarket motor stuff like bbks since people tend to burn em up n I don't wanna warrantee em. A buddy of mine sells used motorcycles, and the first thing he usually does is make em all stock. He doesn't want some fancy mirror (or whatever part) falling off n having to pay for it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Start it out of your garage and work locally... bootstrap. Slow and steady.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You don't wanna do business at your house I've found, at least not retail level stuff. You'll get people knocking on your door randomly. I've gotta family so I gotta do biz elswhere.

I've been doing on-location car audio n alarms for a while now w no retail location, just cl ads n word of mouth. If I had a location I could do more n have other guys work there for me, or store n work on scoots in between customer visits if I was flippin em. I need to find a location so I can expand what I do more.
ss800
BMX
BMX

Post by ss800 »

A lot to consider, building rental, preparation to convert the space to a working shop, meeting local codes, employee payroll, income taxes, liability insurance, electric , water bills, (possible) state registration as a "certified vehicle service provider" ...much more than meets the eye. Just opening the door requires huge investment.

Better to know and understand the complexities going in....its just not "open the door and make money".
**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**

'95 Ducati 900SS/SP
'98 Honda VFR800
'07 Ducati SS800

www.customcarbservices.com
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

ss800 wrote:A lot to consider, building rental, preparation to convert the space to a working shop, meeting local codes, employee payroll, income taxes, liability insurance, electric , water bills, (possible) state registration as a "certified vehicle service provider" ...much more than meets the eye. Just opening the door requires huge investment.

Better to know and understand the complexities going in....its just not "open the door and make money".
+1
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
reynoldston
Goped
Goped

Post by reynoldston »

I don't know as to where you live but around here there isn't much of a scooter market. It will depend on supply and demand in your part of the country. Scooters are sold mostly from the larger motorcycle dealers around here in northern NY. With the cheep Chinese scooters it has to be also hard to turn a good profit on the used bikes if they need much in repairs. I do hope you the best of luck if you do decide to go ahead with this.
ss800
BMX
BMX

Post by ss800 »

Agreed...a highly seasonal market accompanied by intense competition makes predictable, steady incoming business difficult.

Working at a Yamaha dealer in the 70's...the boss *insisted* on being open during a snowy, nasty winter day....we sold 1 quart of 2 stroke oil that whole day...net $1.25 (at that time). Locking up, turning off the lights and sending everyone one home would have been in his better financial interests.

Flipside spring time...2 week lead time in the service department...either dead slow or too busy.

You've got to predict, plan ahead and be financially secure to survive through the inevitable rough times.
**Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson**

'95 Ducati 900SS/SP
'98 Honda VFR800
'07 Ducati SS800

www.customcarbservices.com
daChurchPcGuy
Noob
Noob

Post by daChurchPcGuy »

So, did you open a shop?