Elite 150 Won't Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

midwestscoot
Noob
Noob

Elite 150 Won't Start

Post by midwestscoot »

I recently bought an '85 Elite 150 from an older gentleman that claimed he had it running not too long ago. It has 1,400 miles on it and I also got a second parts bike with it.

As soon as I brought it home I:

- Cleaned the fuel tank and filled it with fresh fuel.
-Cleaned the carb.
-Installed new fuel lines and a fuel filter.
-Installed a new properly gapped spark plug.
-Installed a new fully charged battery.

It cranked, but would not start. I verified that I do have spark. Compression tests at 174 psi. I pulled the valve cover to inspect it and everything looked good, so I buttoned it back up and adjusted the valves per the FSM.

After the valve adjustment I tried starting it and it fired right up and ran great. I shut it off and it will not restart. I cleaned and tried my carb from the parts bike, both bystarters check out with the voltmeter, tried a new aftermarket carb, tried my spare CDI, rectifier, and coil even though both sets check out with the voltmeter. No matter what I try, it will not start! Starting fluid won't even do anything.

What am I missing? Any ideas?
motormike

Re: Elite 150 Won't Start

Post by motormike »

My first thought is the possibility that you have extended the side-stand after the initial
running, and forgot to put it up in subsequent attempts.
Also, that some debris has fouled fuel delivery, and caused cylinder to flood with gas...but
I think you would have figured that out from your following steps.
Even though the electrical components test fine, check spark at the spark plug while cranking for confirmation.
ONE other thing, the FUSE on the Elite 150 is a strange little metal "dog-bone" shape that is located front of battery...take a look at that to make sure it didn't burn after initial start-up.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
midwestscoot
Noob
Noob

Re: Elite 150 Won't Start

Post by midwestscoot »

motormike wrote:My first thought is the possibility that you have extended the side-stand after the initial
running, and forgot to put it up in subsequent attempts.
Also, that some debris has fouled fuel delivery, and caused cylinder to flood with gas...but
I think you would have figured that out from your following steps.
Even though the electrical components test fine, check spark at the spark plug while cranking for confirmation.
ONE other thing, the FUSE on the Elite 150 is a strange little metal "dog-bone" shape that is located front of battery...take a look at that to make sure it didn't burn after initial start-up.
The side stand has been up the whole time (I've made that mistake before. haha), and after checking it out I don't think it even has a sensor on it. I've pulled the spark plug and verified that I do have spark while cranking. The kill switch also tests out with the voltmeter, and works properly while I've got the plug pulled. I checked out that strange fuse as well, and it appeared fine. The whole thing is crazy, I just don't know what else it could be. I guess I'm just too used to the simplicity of my 2 strokes.