Just purchase my first Honda Spree, or scooter for that matter...any info helps!!!!

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

bobthecop
Noob
Noob

Just purchase my first Honda Spree, or scooter for that matter...any info helps!!!!

Post by bobthecop »

So, I have been looking at buying a scooter to cruise around the gated community and after a few youtube videos I fell in love with the retro feel of the Honda Spree. A few weeks of searching and I found a lady selling a 1986 model with .5 miles. She purchased it about 15 years ago and stored it in her garage but never drove it, it literally had all the original paperwork NIB. I made arrangments to purchase it ( I'm sure I paid to much) and the sellers husband changed the old fluids prior of course but it acts as if the carbarator is dirty, as aspected. My question is other than watching Youtube to get it running... think its the carb and changing the tires is there anything else I should do... Also what would y'all pro's have paid for such a scooter?
ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Re: Just purchase my first Honda Spree, or scooter for that matter...any info helps!!!!

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

The air filter neets to be soaked in gear oil to give the carb better vacuum to pull fuel(80w and squeeze excess out), a dry filter will draw air too freely. If you use a screw driver and pull apart the carb you might have a clogged jet from gas sitting in it. You can clean the holes with carb cleaner. The vacuum diaphragm is very picky sometimes for fuel delivery, it opens only when the piston goes down and allows a little fuel to pass by. I just installed a manual petcock with an off and on switch so I know I'm getting fuel. Pull the spark plug as it may be rusty as well. Any intake leaks will cause lean running on a stock bike and could do damage so make sure the intake is nice n tight.
motormike

Re: Just purchase my first Honda Spree, or scooter for that matter...any info helps!!!!

Post by motormike »

:urban: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
THIS LINK^^...will take you to the Wikispreedia page.
Click the link and browse through the information.
THIS IS the first thing you should do.
Many, if not all, of your questions will be addressed.
I DO NOT recommend following any of the above suggestions from ASpreeOfJoy.
I DO RECOMMEND removing, dis-assembling the carburetor, and spending some careful inspection and cleaning
work to attain a properly working unit. Carburetor cleaning sometimes takes several repeats to get the years of
varnish and oxidation removed. EVERY orifice of a carb MUST be open FULLY to achieve a properly functioning unit.
Use of proper cleaning solvents, very fine wires or jet cleaner files, and compressed air to follow is a must.
VERIFY ALL PASSAGES to be clear and flowing by using a can of spray carb cleaner and watching for flow as
you direct spray very specifically with the nozzle tube included with the can. The cleaning process is NOT COMPLETE until
you verify ALL passages open and clear.
ALL original fuel, vacuum, and oil hoses are likely to be cracked, rotted, or swollen internally to the point
of needing replaced. I highly suggest replacement of them ALL to accompany your carb cleaning efforts.
We are here to help you along during this effort. Your ability to explain what you see, hear, and do is
extremely important to receive good feedback. Pix can also be valuable making your points clear.
Best of luck getting the bike back on the road... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Forget about soaking the filter in oil. It will probably disintegrate, if not as you squeeze it, then into your reeds. Hit up NoiseGuy for a nice alternative to the stock material. Everything else as stated.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ASpreeOfJoy
Goped
Goped

Post by ASpreeOfJoy »

Yikes, I mean I didn't think manual Petcocks were that dangerous, when turned off properly, I just didn't think a spree with .5 miles needed more than a carb cleaning and a filter dip like honda san wants in the service manual..... But alas I should have just responded with the link instead.
motormike

Post by motormike »

ASpreeOfJoy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:57 pm didn't think a spree with .5 miles needed more than a carb cleaning and a filter dip like honda san wants in the service manual
Consideration must be given to the 32 years of environmental exposure and the affects it has on fuel and rubber.
I'd give the gas tank a close look too.
RideRed
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I second what mike says, and would add in.. By rubber, that means EVERYTHING rubber. Rubber will naturally deteriorate under even the best storage conditions. You can almost guarantee that everything rubber on the bike is now suspect and brittle. Fuel and vacuum lines, the belt, and one that is commonly overlooked, the O-ring inside the oil pump. This can be purchased online or most Honda dealers for just a couple bucks. Ask for part number: 91301-147-023.
bobthecop
Noob
Noob

Post by bobthecop »

Thanks for the feedback.... Working on getting together all the parts. I was successful with he carb clean and reattaching the speedometer cable and it runs great. Just waiting on the tires/tubes, plastic body tabs, filter, and hoses. Its amazing the person kept the scooter in the garage covered for so long.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Good news bobthecop.
We all saw that Scooter and iirc, $995 was the asking price.
One thing to buy in order to protect your investment is
a simple heat gauge. Koso is a popular brand.
https://www.google.com/search?q=koso+ch ... fox-b-1-ab
RideRed
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Well ? better than Chinese. That would have deteriorated long time ago.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ