Aero125 belt question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MogyDad
Noob
Noob

Aero125 belt question

Post by MogyDad »

In addition to a 1984 Aero80, I have taken possession of a 1984 Aero125. Both were purchased new by my parents and reflect about 1500 miles on the odometer. Both have been in storage for the past 10 years or so. I now have them running with some minor modifications (bystarter bypass on Aero80 and a tweaked setup on the 125's petcock).

As we all know, parts are extremely scarce, particularly with the Aero125. Even though both scooters perform well, I am concerned with the 35 year old CVT belts. My seemingly endless search for the Aero125 belt #23100-KJ9-003 has turned up nothing - well perhaps something from a website in Turkey - I think -don't speak the language. Anyway … here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have a source for this part or an equivalent?

2. Does anyone know the exact specs of this part? I found a reference to the belt number on a site: impex-corp.co.jp with a cross reference to size 794mm-18mm-30 degrees. Is this accurate? Appears they don't actually make this belt ??

3. How important is it that these belts match the spec exactly? If somewhat flexible, which measurement is most important - circumference, width or angle? Some available belts are close - within 3 or 4mm of circumference or within 1mm width or within 2 degrees of angle. None that I could find have more than one measurement in common.

These bikes are in pretty good condition overall - Mostly just paint and decal scuffs from years of storage and neglect. I want to improve them cosmetically and functionally to be licensed and used. However, I don't want to do the work and spend the money if I get sidelined by a broken belt that can't be replaced!

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
motormike

Re: Aero125 belt question

Post by motormike »

Hello Mogydad. Congrats on the new toys.
I had a long and passionate romance with an Aero 125.
She was one great girl, my Ruby.
You can find BELT info in my thread.
Here is the link >>>> http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=120
You will find that I used a belt that measures 799 X 19 X 28...readily available for under $30
I had NO problems using that belt for many, many miles.
There does seem to be a "run-in" period at first when the belt is wearing in and getting seated to the variator.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MogyDad
Noob
Noob

Post by MogyDad »

Thanks Motormike!

You answered my basic question of whether a "close size" would work, and I did find a few that fit that description.
For now, the original belts on the bikes seem fine. I just want to have replacements on hand in the event of a catastrophic failure down the road!
motormike

Post by motormike »

That 35 year old OEM belt WILL fail without a doubt.
I made the mistake of trusting the OEM belt to make a 200 mile trip.
IT DID NOT. I was left on the side of the road after 50 miles or so, on a Sunday, with
no possible source for a new belt.
I recommend buying and replacing that belt before you allow yourself the same error.
And YES, 794 x 18 x 30 is the correct OEM measurement.
EDIT: While sitting here watching the Saints vs. Rams,
it occurred to me to edit this comment and encourage you to upgrade the variator weights. (or rollers)
I chose to buy Dr.Pulley Sliders and was extremely pleased with the improvement in the entire range of
operation. Memory does not serve me well, but I think i was happiest with 15 gram sliders.
Keeping in mind that Ruby had already been fitted with a Mikuni TM24, your choice of weight size may vary.
A read through my thread may benefit you in making choices throughout your romance with your parents cherished scoots.
I am very happy to see you take up this endeavor and am here to help you make the best of it.
Live large, ride small......motor.... :urban:
RideRed
MogyDad
Noob
Noob

Post by MogyDad »

How does this one look? #66G3081 Gates G Force CVT Belt. 795 x 17 x 30. Pretty darn close to original spec of 794 x 18 x 30. Can get it through NAPA for $41.

Service manual indicates original belt service limit to 15.8mm. I would interpret that to indicate more narrow is better than too wide. Starting at 17 shouldn't be a problem. You agree?
motormike

Post by motormike »

MogyDad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:53 pm How does this one look? #66G3081 Gates G Force CVT Belt. 795 x 17 x 30. Pretty darn close to original spec of 794 x 18 x 30. Can get it through NAPA for $41.

Service manual indicates original belt service limit to 15.8mm. I would interpret that to indicate more narrow is better than too wide. Starting at 17 shouldn't be a problem. You agree?
No, you have it wrong.
It's much better to start with the 19 wide and let it wear in.
Given your suggestion, you are starting with a NEW belt that is already HALF worn out.
The extra 5mm in length on the 799 x 19 x 30 Never did show any excessive wear from being too long.
I put 7 or 8 thousand miles on the first belt and it was fine when I sold it.
I found cheap belts...plenty of them. LINK https://www.ebay.com/i/152941685426?chn=ps
RideRed
MogyDad
Noob
Noob

Post by MogyDad »

Yep ... See your point. Thanks!