Lightweight Rear Rim Option for SA50

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

So in an attempt to shave off rotational mass, and increase performance, considering swapping just the rear rim with something lighter. The Honda Metro 50 rims are popular and can run tubeless, which shaves some weight. But what about a full aluminum option, such as the GY6 50cc bikes? If brake shoes fit, this could be viable, but I'm not so sure its direct fit.

Something like this rim here:
https://www.ebay.com/i/223284819890?chn=ps

Trying to cross reference stock SA50 rear brake pads, and it seems close! But still researching..
https://www.amazon.com/105mm-Front-Brak ... B00S97IKPS

Theory:
[Rear Alum Rim + Tubeless Tire 3.0x10] = less weight than << stock steel [3spoke + tube +tire] == SPEED GAINS 8) :P

Think Rear DIO ZX rim is an option, but hard to find.. NCY rear too, but pricey$$. I'm searching for budget baller options, as always :ndance:
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Re: Lightweight Rear Rim Option for SA50

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

fEeBaY listing says drum diameter is 110. Elite panel is 95 if I recall correctly. Then there's the spline count on the axle. Finally, there's no weight listed. It's not a sure thing that a cast Al-Yew-Minnie-Yum wheel is going to be lighter than the stamped Elite/Met 3-spoker.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The aluminum wheel should be lighter. The reason guys chase light wheels for automotive is b/c it lowers unsprung mass, which makes the car ride better and, more importantly, keeps the tires down to track better when they're bumped... basically it's less mass for the spring to press back down so the wheel moves faster. This isn't a consideration for scooters... note that the entire engine (1/2 the mass, anyway) is unsprung, and quite a bit higher than the wheel.

Assuming you can't get bore and spline info (agree with Wheelman is is a key part) it might be cheaper to find a trashed GY6 scooter, pull rear wheel and see if spline matches, or try to run down specs on a site like Alibaba.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Yup, I'm thinking of going the trashed GY6 route.. although seems like most GY6 50cc have a steel 10" and the aluminum one is less common.

Oh ya this is def not a "mod" toward handing in any respect, simply chasing less weight and see the wheel as potential area to lose some. As Wheels said, very possible the china alum wheel is not MUCH lighter, even if it is lighter. I'm pretty curious tho.

Spline count will make or break this proposition.
projects galore :nerd:
Kamanaen
Noob
Noob

Post by Kamanaen »

Morning.

Long time reader of this forum but, first time posting here.

I was reading on the Performance/Load Testing forum when a I like to the know the following:

What does your LoadType option do, anyway?

Please clarify.

Thanks
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Kamanaen wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:07 pm Morning.

Long time reader of this forum but, first time posting here.

I was reading on the Performance/Load Testing forum when a I like to the know the following:

What does your LoadType option do, anyway?

Please clarify.

Thanks
I didn't get what you want to know so please keep waiting for someone who can figure this question out....
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Met wheels are bigger/heavier.