Help Choosing a Variator

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

ansneds
Spree
Spree

Help Choosing a Variator

Post by ansneds »

I want to get an aftermarket variator for my af16 elite. I've had a polini variator on my old elite, but wanted to see if there was anything better. I was thinking about getting a keli variator with the SEF ramp plate, but what do you guys think?
Currently own:
->1995 Honda Elite 50 (Derestricted)
Have previously owned:
->Multiple 94-01 Elite 50s
->1985 and 1986 Honda Sprees
->1985 Honda Aero 50
bonesv

Re: Help Choosing a Variator

Post by bonesv »

I have the Keli/SEF setup on 2 of my scooters. I love the price/quality/performance. I don't use the Keli on a zx trans setup, I recommend a polini for ruckus vari because it has a larger diameter.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Mrog1141
Noob
Noob

Post by Mrog1141 »

bonesv wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 pm I have the Keli/SEF setup on 2 of my scooters. I love the price/quality/performance. I don't use the Keli on a zx trans setup, I recommend a polini for ruckus vari because it has a larger diameter.
What differences do you see with the polini ruckus variator? Top speed, acceleration? Please let me know. I have a polini ruck variator sitting around that I might try and put to good use!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Try the Ruck vari and see for yourself. Adjust rollers accordingly. Also, you will need to grind away some case material around the starter area to fit the bigger vari. Slide the Ruck vari on and you’ll see where. Use stock vari boss, not Ruck one.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.