Bogs on throttle opening and now won't even start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

172driver
Noob
Noob

Bogs on throttle opening and now won't even start

Post by 172driver »

My 87 Spree sat for about 1.5 years without running. It was running well prior to it being put in dry storage. I installed a new battery and it started, warmed up and idled well. Initially it accelerated to full speed but then quickly started to falter at the high throttle settings. It would smooth out as the throttle was reduced to a lower setting. I limped back to the garage. This condition continued to deteriorate to where it wouldn't take hardly any throttle at all without dying. Now it won't even fire up. All these events transpired within the first 2 short test runs.
Where should I start?
bonesv

Re: Bogs on throttle opening and now won't even start

Post by bonesv »

Remove carburetor and thoroughly clean per instructions found in here.... http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page
Then check air filter and if needed, replace w/correct filter found here.... https://www.ebay.com/str/noiseguysstore
Also inspect the spark plug and if needed, replace with a correct one also found here.... https://www.ebay.com/str/noiseguysstore
Next, be sure of good, leak free connections of air intake system and vacuum/fuel lines. Set carburetor air/fuel screw per manual initial settings and adjust as necessary. The Spree motor is very sensitive and should not be modified from original condition. If you can’t get it running properly then something else is amiss.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Post by motormike »

I would suspect deteriorated hoses...replace.
Clean gas tank and screen...if it has one.
Gonna have to clean the carb and check all jets for flow.
I bet the bystarter never closed the enrichment circuit and caused the rich condition
to make it run poorly until you got it back home. Test bystarter..is easy.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
172driver
Noob
Noob

Post by 172driver »

Cleaned everything, carb, bystarter and fuel valve. Repeated starts produced a good idle and a fair amount of blue smoke but was able to take a little more throttle each time before dying out. A fresh tank of premium gas and multiple plug cleanings after each die out eventually resulted in smooth running and an ability to accelerate with no more blue smoke. My suspicion is a balky bystarter along with old low octane fuel.
Thanks for everybody's help!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I suspect you finally got it to run long enough and warm up enough to burn off the half-crankcase full of oil resulting from 547 days of a slowly-leaking oil pump o-ring. This might be the reason why your plug fouled out. It should be fine if you run it frequently, or you can look into replacing the o-ring or the entire oil pump.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
172driver
Noob
Noob

Post by 172driver »

Thanks Wheelman. That makes a lot of sense. I'm impressed with the depth of knowledge on this forum and appreciate the willingness to help out. This scooter is a new item in the "fleet" and I need to get educated on it's workings. Like most everything else with a motor, I guess they to don't like to sit idle for any length of time. Lesson learned...... again
Midnightpromises
Noob
Noob

Post by Midnightpromises »

Now come fix mine :-)
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 am Greetings:

I suspect you finally got it to run long enough and warm up enough to burn off the half-crankcase full of oil resulting from 547 days of a slowly-leaking oil pump o-ring. This might be the reason why your plug fouled out. It should be fine if you run it frequently, or you can look into replacing the o-ring or the entire oil pump.
Hi all, long time no post - just curious about the o-ring mentioned. I'm not seeing how the o-ring that seals the pump in its orifice could cause a leak unless the oil is flowing over the outside of the pump and down into the hole. I've always been under the impression that there is a check valve inside that weakens over time and allows oil to leak into the crankcase. I believe you will need another pump but please correct me if I'm missing something. Nothing worse than filling the neighborhood with smoke after cranking one of these that has sat for awhile.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yeah, now that you mention it that check-valve might be the more likely culprit. I haven't seen an oil pump in so long, I shouldn't try to diagnose one.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH