Only Starts on Charger

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

witub5403
Noob
Noob

Only Starts on Charger

Post by witub5403 »

Hello,
I am an amateur mechanic who recently purchased a 1984 Honda Spree. It was not working when I got it, but after a little cleanup and run through I thought life was good. The issue I continue to have: Battery is fully charged, but I don't get anything when I turn the key, no lights, nothing, start button, not so much as a click. I put it on my battery charger, turn the key, Tail light comes on, pull the left brake lever and push the start button, and it turns over like a champ and runs great, I can drive it around and all components function as it should. all lights, signals, speedometer. work perfectly. Kill the engine, back to square one. Turn the key and nothing like its dead. Test the battery on a multimeter and we are good there, Replaced the CDI nothing. I don't want to just keep buying electrical components without knowing what to do a check? I read the service manual but am not really sure where to start? Anyone ever have an issue like this? I do have a multimeter and a test light.

Thanks so much for the forum its been great help so far!
Wheelman-111

Re: Only Starts on Charger

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A "fully-charged" battery won't have much power if it's more than 5-7 years old. The battery charger will show Green, but the energy stored in a sulfated battery may not be enoughto throw the relay, much less turn on lights and crank the engine. Your symptoms suggest you need only purchase a new battery and "fully-charge" that one.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

I've seen Spree and similar size batteries completely trashed after only one year.
Buy a new battery is probably sound advice according to the symptoms.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
witub5403
Noob
Noob

Post by witub5403 »

Running a brand new battery and it seems to have done the trick. I ended up replacing the Voltage regulator. The person I got it from reported that batteries didn't seem to last long, but I found no evidence of a bad ground. Hoping this does the trick. Will Update once I am sure the issue is permanently resolved.