1986 Spree almost fixed need help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

1986 Spree almost fixed need help

Post by joseneedshelp »

I had a post prior to this about a spree i bought and stopped working. I finally got it to start but im still not sure what is wrong with it. I put my hand over the carb where the air pipe connects and it started up but sounded like it was going full throttle so i shut it off. Any idea on what my issue could be? Without the hand it will not start. With starter fluid it starts for about 2 seconds idles super high as if it is going full throttle then dies.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1986 Spree almost fixed need help

Post by Meatball »

There is something wrong in the carb area. With your hand over the carb end, the scoot should die almost immediately. This not only cuts off ALL air to the motor but with no flow through the venturi, how is fuel getting to the cylinder for combustion?? Look for a glaringly obvious air leak somewhere....is the bystarter missing? Is there a huge crack in your carb body? Is your carb top cap not screwed in? Something fishy here.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Agree with Meatball...air leak.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Throttle slide may be stuck in open position.
You may have installed it in the carburetor out of alignment with the nub.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

So i fixed the throttle slide it was 180. Now it doesnt idle high but it still wont turn on unless i put my hand over the carb. Once it starts i can take off my hand and it will ride until i shut it off
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Doesn't seem to have any air leaks, one thing i should mention is fuel drips from the back of the carb onto my hand when cranking it
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yea you should have the air box all connected and an oiled, oem quality air filter in place for the scooter to start on it’s own no hand-holding
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

I have a filter from noiseguy that is oiled. When it's connected it will only crank
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Then there’s something to do with the workings of the carburetor. Is it the original oem or an eBay carb?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

It is OEM, i've cleaned it 4 times now
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

joseneedshelp wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 pm So i fixed the throttle slide it was 180. Now it doesnt idle high but it still wont turn on unless i put my hand over the carb. Once it starts i can take off my hand and it will ride until i shut it off
Do you mean you can ride it? or do you mean it will just run while on the stand?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

I can ride it, so after more trial and error it wont start with my hand anymore. I now have to put my hand over so fuel drips onto my hand. I then have to connect the air pipe back and it turns on right away when i crank it.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Getting fuel on your hand is normal if you cap the end of the carb and crank it. Fuel is getting sucked up the emulsion tube when you crank but your hand is stopping airflow through the venturi to force said fuel INTO the motor....hence the wet hand.

What does your airbox look like? Is it nice and sealed up tight with the lid properly attached? Are there any extra holes in it that shouldnt be there? A lean condition usually makes the motor run like a banshee...and tough to start.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Runs well once its goin but I can't start it alone. There doesnt seem to be holes on the lid but a clip is broken and its not seated in tightly. Ill take some pictures when i get home
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

That's probably a bystarter issue. Does it start ok once warmed up?