Kick start problems...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Qman
Noob
Noob

Kick start problems...

Post by Qman »

Good morning. I have an older Spree. Runs great when I can get it to start. Problem it has is that the kick start binds and sticks. I have removed the cover and reset it a couple of times but it just will not stop sticking/binding. Any suggestions, tutorials or videos that may help? I would even buy new parts if I could find them. The gear set on EBay is reversed from what mine is and will not work.

Thanks!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Kick start problems...

Post by Meatball »

Is there a particular part you have deemed needing replacement or are your binding issues a mystery and you just wanna start buying stuff to try?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Qman
Noob
Noob

Post by Qman »

I have not found anything that looks particularly worn out at all. After looking at the parts list for the drive I may be missing the thrust washer under the small gear. I will have to take it apart again to verify that. Otherwise, no, there is nothing that jumps out as bad. I would prefer to not buy unnecessary parts.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Qman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:12 pmI would prefer to not buy unnecessary parts.
Precisely my point. Ive always thought diagnosis is 75% of the repair with these. Ordering parts and installation is the easy part. With kickstarts, the spacing is critical. A millimeter too much/little will cause binding or disengagement. Possibly a missing thrust washer or spacer. Study the parts list and digram (below) and see what you have. If all components are present within the belt cover kick assembly, check that your Drive Face has all of it’s parts....do you have #6, #8, #10 #11?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... drive-face
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.