Af16 Assistance / Build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Af16 Assistance / Build

Post by Meatball »

The pictures were mis-leading then. I’m sure any leaks will show up on the pressure test. :thumbwink:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Meatball wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 pm The pictures were mis-leading then. I’m sure any leaks will show up on the pressure test. :thumbwink:
Its misleading in person too, but its smoother than a babies bum. I was gonna hone it, but Id put money on it being okej. I need to figure out how to install the crank seals. Not sure if any of my sockets are long enough. Everything should be in this weekend for me to fire it up. I ordered a second main jet kit as I was told that 118 wont be enough for this pipe. I wont be ripping full WOT for a little while anyhow
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

nateberrier wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 amI need to figure out how to install the crank seals.
A piece of PVC pipe works well.
Attachments
E3C338A4-37CF-47FC-BC42-C25432A69DD2.jpeg
E3C338A4-37CF-47FC-BC42-C25432A69DD2.jpeg (132.76 KiB) Viewed 10623 times
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

nateberrier wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am I ordered a second main jet kit as I was told that 118 wont be enough for this pipe.
I had a Fabrizi pipe like that for a while and I remember it was tricky to install. Actually it was frustrating and I had to make the side bolt just the right length for the fit. It seemed to like a 124 mj in an oko pwk style carburetor. That was on a Malossi cast iron 47mm cylinder.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

bonesv wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:02 pm
nateberrier wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am I ordered a second main jet kit as I was told that 118 wont be enough for this pipe.
I had a Fabrizi pipe like that for a while and I remember it was tricky to install. Actually it was frustrating and I had to make the side bolt just the right length for the fit. It seemed to like a 124 mj in an oko pwk style carburetor. That was on a Malossi cast iron 47mm cylinder. 175 copy.jpg
Im figuring thats right where Ill be based on talking to MVS for a bit. Im a little worried about having a correct pilot, but having 35-40 and a 45 i should be able to make it work. I had to cut down one of my exhaust bolts for my AF05 so Im not shocked that this one and others are oddball
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I think I remember using a 42 pilot but that was a 26mm carb made by oko
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

bonesv wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:00 pm I think I remember using a 42 pilot but that was a 26mm carb made by oko
Based on other setups and talking to people Im thinking I can stick a 40 in and be fine. 45 probs will run too but maybe with a couple turns out?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

A Polini carb usually requires less jetting versus the oko’s for some reason 🤷🏻‍♂️
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Dont have pics uploaded, but I managed to put the engine together and get it to fire.

Pipe hits the frame, so need to figure out a solution there.

Need to figure out the air screw, will not run without choke pulled. Runs great choked though haha.

Couldnt get it to run at first, gave it ether against my own judgement, and it started screaming, then realized my grip tube is not quite fitting right. hopefully didnt score the jug.

Im out this week, but when i get home ill have plenty of fiddling to do i suppose
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

So everything came in the day before I had to leave, so naturally I stressed out and decided to put it all together at once.

I had to get some tires put on, so I figured the bike shop could just tap my crank seals in. I am capable obviously, but hunting sockets and buying sections of pvc is more time consuming than having them do it.

Anyway, I told them flush on variator side and 9mm deep on stator side. Dude smacked it all the way through into the oil pump area..... Was not happy. Thankfully I had a second, but they had a * of a time getting it out. I havent checked for a leak yet, but it runs and seems to fit okay. Just hoping they didnt scratch my crank.......

Guess I will not ask for help from people in the future, it always bites my *. Always wishing I just did it myself haha

I ended up taking it for a ride after about 4 heat cycles, just enough throttle to take off, maybe 5mm turn lmao. It was pretty quick to 25 then the pipe hit and it wanted to pull a wheelie. Its going to be ridiculously fast. I need to retorque and double check for leaks, but so far it feels really strong.

Unfortunately the 90mm brake hub i have for the front is all apart, so I was riding on the original tire and it was going flat. But more updates to come, probably will finish posting on the trash aero build page since its installed there now.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Two words for you Nate.....Temperature gauge

If you have air leaks it will let you know quick. If you run without a gauge, it may be too late.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

bonesv wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 pm Two words for you Nate.....Temperature gauge

If you have air leaks it will let you know quick. If you run without a gauge, it may be too late.
Oh no worries there, I have a CHT. I wouldnt do a big build like this and guess.

Im running 45 pilot, about 3 turns out on the air screw boi and 118 main, but ill change that when i feel its time to go WOT for the firs time
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Very painstaking careful work Nate!
See if there's a way to fabricate a bracket to support the weight of that big carb. I have READ (No direct experience) that those rubber carb flanges can fatigue and crack, letting air in.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:39 pm Greetings:

Very painstaking careful work Nate!
See if there's a way to fabricate a bracket to support the weight of that big carb. I have READ (No direct experience) that those rubber carb flanges can fatigue and crack, letting air in.
I was shocked as you all are that I was capable of putting it all together correctly. Shocked how simple these motors are though to some degree.

I am also shocked at how fast this thing revs up and how much power it makes.

I have not heard about the rubber going bad but it seems extremely solid, I cant imagine it breaking. Im going to make some videos for everyone when its above 32 degrees again and I have the new front brake plate attached
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I can confirm a fellow forum member “Jonardz” was having tuning issues just a few months ago. After some head scratching and careful poking around, he discovered his rubber intake boot was cracked and letting in air. It was particularly hidden from visual inspection unless you push the carb down to open the crack. Let the carb spring up and the crack closed and the boot “looked” perfectly new. I dont recall if he has a Stage6 or Naraku intake but they use the same boot design....something to watch out for.