Not getting all the way on pipe

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonesv

Re: Not getting all the way on pipe

Post by bonesv »

I have no idea where you are located so pm me again with your zip for quote w/shipping. I have 2 met stems. 1 w/metro oem bearing race and 1 has the elite bearing race pressed on it. I suspect the aero has the same bearing the elite does as the metro uses larger diameter bearings bc of the alum frame.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I went for a ride with a 40 pilot this weekend, but didnt get far. The bike doesnt like to rev till its warmed up and I cant get it up to 200 in this cold without riding at low speed. I went down to the farmers market, but once I tried to get on it leaving, I was backfiring and it ran like crap but idled okay.

It seemed like it was out of time or something, but when i pulled the shroud, the flywheel was still good, I pulled my plug wire and it kinda fell apart, im going to order a new one. I also found a crack in the weld on my exhaust flange.

Im going to have my 15x42 gears pressed, have the flange welded, and do more planning for the disk front. I found a set of NCY hustler wheels for 200 and a disk conversion kit for a metro for 550. seems reasonable overall. Just need to verify those wheels will work on the rear. Not sure if Ill have to do a naked bar setup or not, but guessing that will be the case.
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

PM sent
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

what rear puilley and clutch are you running? if its a stock pulley and contra, that's your problem the "S" grooved pulley sucks!!! itll shift into high gear too soon and drop rpm out of powerband. and even with a bbk, unless youre going down hill, its hard to get back the rpm for powerband
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Hi Nate, it’s been awhile since the fabrizi pipe has been mentioned but I seem to recall it was designed to pair up with the fabrizi 82cc bbk and I have heard mention of older 90cc fabrizi bbk but either way, those fabrizi exhaust ports were huge! And possibly your corsa does not pair perfectly with that pipe? It could be all in the tuning as well, but I wanted to throw that bit of info out there. Let’s see if anyone is still around who has experience or an educated opinion. 🤔
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

bonesv wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 pm Hi Nate, it’s been awhile since the fabrizi pipe has been mentioned but I seem to recall it was designed to pair up with the fabrizi 82cc bbk and I have heard mention of older 90cc fabrizi bbk but either way, those fabrizi exhaust ports were huge! And possibly your corsa does not pair perfectly with that pipe? It could be all in the tuning as well, but I wanted to throw that bit of info out there. Let’s see if anyone is still around who has experience or an educated opinion. 🤔
So quick update on Mr. Scooty.

I switched down to a 40 Pilot, and it is like 7/8 turn out, I probably need 42. Either way it runs fine and cool with the 40 and the 45, but will run screwed in on the 40 so I know its a smidge lean.

I tried to ride it around when I changed it, but then noticed i couldnt accelerate, I thought my flywheel was loose again, but turned out that the resistor for the plug wire was smashing into the frame and it broke apart.

New NGK plug and wire is much nicer quality and lower profile.

I also found that the pipe was blowing oil on the frame seemingly from the exhaust stud this time. That seemed weird, turned out that when I tried the stock Polini gasket and tightened it down, it broke the weld on the inlet and it was bouncing off the stud into the frame.

I had my friend reweld the pipe and press my 15x42 gears in.

I decided to buy a Yellow Malossi Contra as well. I have a 1k NCY in there but I was told I probably should use a little stronger.

Also got a new polini belt around the time i switched my pilot, and got it mostly shimmed.

So with fixed pipe, new gears, stiffer contra, swapped in met rear wheel, the bike was finally seeming reliable.

I took it for a 20mile round trip ride to the climbing gym since it was warm. Temps stayed under 300 degrees the whole time, even with spurts of WOT. I didnt GPS it, but the bike seems to keep pulling at any point I wanted. Esp on teh top end. Above 40 you can feel it pull if you open it up.

It seems to stay on the pipe a little better now. As far as I can tell it hovers at around 10500RPM.

I took it on another ride for lunch the other day too, this time about 30 miles of riding round trip. Sadly the hotdog place was closed for holidays, but I got some reliable rips on the bike. It feels strong, runs cool and seems to be powerful. I am wondering if the low revs are related to variator weights or if its possibly just too rich and not making as much power as it should. I am getting some oil out of the pipe so maybe? I might try leaning out the MJ a little in the coming days.

I was getting some breakup at mid throttle, I moved for leaning out the needle a bit, and now im running second from the top of the needle instead of middle which was stock. That seemed to help but it might need a little more adjustment

Tried getting the stock aero panels back on, left side fits, right side the glove box needs more cutting and the bottom part of the panel hits the fabrizi bad. Normally I wouldnt cut it, but they are pretty junked up as is.

I think I have about 4.5 hours on the bike now. It feels more reliable, broke a spring on the stinger, but thats pretty minor.

Also I bought a met stem for super cheap that im going to poke at, but the drums are feeling a little better with wear-in.

I dont think I would go taller gears either, the amount of acceleration is great, even up hills it chews them like a billygoat but doesnt seem to wanna wheelie too bad.
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

glad to hear youre getting it sorted out. an exhaust leak will kill performance. what weights are you running in your variator? lighter weights will let it rev a little higher before it starts to shift.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

harleyracer59 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 pm glad to hear youre getting it sorted out. an exhaust leak will kill performance. what weights are you running in your variator? lighter weights will let it rev a little higher before it starts to shift.
Currently running 3 10g weights, I'm going to get my new scale out and sort the polini weight kit I dropped by accident :(

I might try 4.5g as that's the next bit lighter. Hopefully that'll be the extra umpf
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I managed to get it out this weekend, I downjetted to 120 main and it doesnt seem to be running hot on that either, but its also very cold. I couldnt necessarily tell a difference in power or anything, though I did get closer to 300 degrees on a hard run that lasted about a mile or so. I know that you should do plug chops and such but I just want to get it ballparked for the time being.

As for roller tuning, I weighed my polini kit. Removed my 3x 10g weights.

First run after was 4.5g weights and that seemed worse, the bike would rev out great but definitely shifting too fast and losing some power.

Second run was with 5.5g weights and that seemed better than 4.5 and 5.0 all around. Got heavier accel. Not sure if I should leave it or try 6g next. Im guessing that I could run pretty heavy weights and still see results.

Pretty much no matter what, the bike ends up at about 10,300 or 10,500 RPM and stays there. It seems like it might be losing some rpms when i get really moving, but its hard to look down sometimes haha.

The bike is pretty fast IMO, but I was told this pipe should want to rev higher and it doesnt seem like it is. Maybe only revving that high when im going faster than Im comfortable with anyhow?

I know on my AF05 that it wouldnt rev out if it was too rich, but not sure if thats the same thing here. Curious if anyone has any opinions or insights. I dont ahve anyone local that knows how to tune these things so im going by old forum posts and such
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

So based on what I was told from other folks on FB running similar setups on their bikes, I decided to DownJet even more!

I am currently at 40Pilot, 1clip from top needle, and 110 Main. Temps touched 300 maybe a few times.

Polini Belt (supposedly too short according to brandon), 5.5g rollers, Malossi Yellow Contra, Keli Var, Keli Clutch at 5500-6000k

I took it out for a ride last week so my wife could jam out in peace and I could enjoy my global warming. 60 degrees in January * lol.

Anyway, it was really windy, but I hit 61mph even with a headwind. A really strong headwind mind you. On other runs with more traffic, I was getting to 55mph pretty easily.

I might do some more tuning on the jetting, I still dont get much past 10500rpms. I think im going to put the OEM belt on, put my 42 jet in, and slowly come down to 108 or 106 jet. Thinking that 65+ is pretty attainable.
Brivander
Spree
Spree

Post by Brivander »

Nate has a time machine ;)

Impressive #'s!!!

What app are you using?
1985 Black/Purple Spree-39 GPS
1985 Red/White Spree-40 GPS
1987 Black/Purple Elite-44 GPS
1985 Red/Black Aero-42 GPS
1992 Red/Gray Jog- 56 GPS
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Thanks for sharing the info,

I am going to be tuning an AF16 mini stroker soon for one of my elites.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

ntonar wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 pm Thanks for sharing the info,

Is that the one with the new NCY front brake kit?
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

If the brakes are still a bit spongy with the new pads, get yourself a new pair of brake cables. They stretch over time. If your cables are 30+ years old you’ll definitely see a different in braking performance.
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

nateberrier wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:43 pm
ntonar wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 pm Thanks for sharing the info,

Is that the one with the new NCY front brake kit?
You are correct.