New member a gyro that won't fire

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

Johnthemann
Noob
Noob

New member a gyro that won't fire

Post by Johnthemann »

Hello..Sold a lot of Sprees, Aero 50's and Elite 80's back in the 90's as a Honda salesman. Well move forward more than a few years and I just acquired a 1986 TG50 with 900 miles in near perfect shape. Perfect except it won't run and I am completely buffalo'd. It cranks over good, getting good spark, meticulously rebuilt/cleaned the carb (including emulsion tube) 3 different times now, compression is over 100, reeds look good. Won't fire period..even with a puff of wd in the combustion chamber, starting fluid in the air cleaner doesn't do it either. Totally lost..any tips would be greatly appreciated unless you mention crank seals...just went thru that on an RD350 and never want to do that again :smile:
bonesv

Re: New member a gyro that won't fire

Post by bonesv »

What does the spark plug tip look like? It may have oil seeped past the oil pump into the crankcase causing it to behave that way?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Starter fluid has no place in a scooter shop.. At least you are keeping the air filter box in place. Instead of using starter fluid, simply fill a pump oil can with gasoline and a small amount of oil. Leave the air filter box in place, then unscrew the cap on the top of the carb where the throttle cable goes into the carb. Lift the cap slightly without removing the throttle slide, squirt a pump or two of your gasoline/oil mix into the slide, put the cap back on the carb, and hit your starter button.
Johnthemann
Noob
Noob

Post by Johnthemann »

Spark plug tip is clean..I just did a top end so all of that is good. When I say I used starter fluid..I used it with filter in place and just a puff..Im aware of the oil cutting abilities of ether..I use it to clean my tools :). Tried your method of gas thru the slide still nothing...If I didn't have spark I would swear its a safety switch somewhere...Totally lost. Thanks for the suggestions though.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I keep starting fluid around...it's the kind with "Upper Cylinder Lubricant"
Maybe you should look for that vintagegarage.
I have a two Gyros Johntheman...and both start very good.
My '85 requires a hand over the air intake on the filter box usually.
My latest "hard-start" situation was cured by a new spark plug...good luck sir...motor...:)
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

if you just rebuilt top end, im guessing vacuum leak somewhere. do a leak down test. se whats leaking. also, 100 is low for a fresh rebuild. check head gasket
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

harleyracer59 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 pm if you just rebuilt top end, im guessing vacuum leak somewhere. do a leak down test. se whats leaking. also, 100 is low for a fresh rebuild. check head gasket
Yup. It may be an intake gasket also leaking in air unwanted. Use a sealant on these gaskets and be sure of correct torque. Check all vacuum hoses as well for cracks/leaks. Also oil pump o-ring. :wink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

My Gyro was the same, really hard to start. I finally stripped the carb down and soaked it in a mixture of soap and ammonia and water in an ultrasound machine, and now it starts. There must have been a blockage in the idle jet passages that I never got to.