What is this SA50/SB50 front book rack?

The place to discuss rides, accessories, or whatever is tangentially Spree/Elite-related

Moderator: Moderator

vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

What is this SA50/SB50 front book rack?

Post by vintagegarage »

I can't find this in any of the Honda SA50/SB50 accessory brochures that I have,. I don't know if this is a Honda accessory part, or an aftermarket, but the quality looks like Honda. The spring loaded keeper at the bottom of the rack makes basketization a bit tough. Is this a factory accessory, and if so, does anyone have link to a period correct photo of it? Has anyone seen one of these before or have one on their SA50?

For extra points, what is supposed to be fastened to the two small threaded holes at the top of the rack?

Here are two more photos of it from different angles:

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: What is this SA50/SB50 front book rack?

Post by Meatball »

Almost looks like the Aero one..NB50. Bit different tho
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Threaded holes for mounting auxiliary, back-up, extra basket.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

looks like a front rack off the jdm honda gornio? the vespa looking 2 strocker they have in japan. they also have a rack for that scooter that holds a spare tire or a compartment thats the shape of a spare tire. search af 24 or af 53? cool looking scooter. really cool accessories.

ill buy it off you, or trade you for a first gen aero rack? the mounting holes should be the same distance.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

I have an 83 Aero 50 and an 84 Aero 50, and you may be right. They both have the factory accessory front racks on them that look identical to the ones in the Aero 50 brochures.. i.e. they don't have the spring trap on the bottom. I measured the mounting holes just now, and they do appear to be the same spacing as on the SA50 and SB50, so the rack might really be for an Aero 50. Good idea, much appreciated. I can't find a period photo of a Honda rack with the spring loaded trap on the bottom on any scooter though. I'll do some more searching, looking at NB50, SA50, and SB 50 accessory brochures.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Good find - This auction id's a similar looking part as an Aero 80 item. If your early Aero 50's had no spring hold down, it's good to know the Aero 80 fits many other scooters.
Attachments
Aero_80_Front_Rack.JPG
Aero_80_Front_Rack.JPG (86.67 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

That does look like it! good info mousewheels.. now I need to find it in a Honda accessory brochure, and also figure out what the threaded holes in the top bar are used for..

Jeepers! Here is another one.. this one is new and comes with the Hondaline paperwork. I bet the paperwork clarifies the use for the holes.. it does look to be in Japanese, so might need a translation..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Hondaline- ... SwAXtfD4qg
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

And here is one for a NB50? (ad says NC50) without the spring clamp on the bottom. I already have a couple of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Honda-Aer ... Sw-i9eso4P
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

mousewheels was right.. I finally found a photo of it.. not sure how I missed it, but it is on page 2 of the 1983 Aero 50/80 brochure. I am still unclear about the two holes on top. Here is the brochure:

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/brochu ... 83Aero.pdf

And the photo from the brochure:

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Thanks for the brochure pic, it puts the size difference to the Aero 50 rack in context. What scooter are you planning to mount it on?

From Motorscooter guide: Mounted Aero 50 front rack.
Aero_50_1983.JPG
Aero_50_1983.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 6114 times
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

As it turns out, I don't have an Aero 80, so I really don't have a use for the rack.. I also gave away all of my SB50s so I can't use it there. I have two SA50s that it would fit on, but I already have homemade racks with baskets on them, and this Aero80 rack doesn't lend itself to basketization anyway. Both of my early Aero50s already have factory racks and factory baskets on them. I either need to find an Aero 80 or find someone with an Aero 80 who wants to come over and pick this one up..
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

As it turns out, I don't have an Aero 80, so I really don't have a use for the rack.. I also gave away all of my SB50s so I can't use it there. I have two SA50s that it would fit on, but I already have homemade racks with baskets on them, and this Aero80 rack doesn't lend itself to basketization anyway
That makes sense - plus if the rack has a basket on it, the spring hold down is not going to get used. Your finding the mounts are the same is good for all to know!

Re: Top two holes
If they are big enough to take mini-bungee cord hooks, it would be a tidy place to hook them to.

For a silly answer - Honda could have made a plastic plug in Logo to fit the hole. Consider our NN50's have HONDA on the rear bumper, rear seat, front cover for the leg shield, on the optional front basket and wind screen.