96 Elite SR front drum brake to disk conversion - how to rewire brake light?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

dextermax
Noob
Noob

96 Elite SR front drum brake to disk conversion - how to rewire brake light?

Post by dextermax »

I am working on a front end conversion from drum brakes to disk brakes on my 1996 Elite SR.

My question- how do people make the brake light button work when making this swap?

The original brake lever unit has a little black plastic pin that when the space between the brake lever and bars is open (brake lever depressed) turns the light on. This piece pushes out somewhat, but I dont' see how other than cutting the wire I can pull it out. If I were to cut it and pull the little black button out, then how would I connect it to the new master cylinder?

Parts:

NCY DIO/Elite Master Brake Reservoir Master Cylinder

Pics for reference:
https://imgur.com/a/deAqGsP
bonesv

Re: 96 Elite SR front drum brake to disk conversion - how to rewire brake light?

Post by bonesv »

There is a part that is not on the master cylinder in the 2nd pic which is the part you need to activate the brake light.
IMG_4671.PNG
IMG_4671.PNG (97.24 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IMG_4670.PNG
IMG_4670.PNG (102.26 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
IMG_4669.PNG
IMG_4669.PNG (100.71 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dextermax
Noob
Noob

Re: 96 Elite SR front drum brake to disk conversion - how to rewire brake light?

Post by dextermax »

Very helpful, thanks. Do you know what it is called? yahoo japan for a dio zx, or can the part be more easily sourced?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

dextermax wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:56 pm Very helpful, thanks. Do you know what it is called? yahoo japan for a dio zx, or can the part be more easily sourced?
I believe that is called a switch, ft. br., I may have one let me look in the shop and get back to you. Japan has had all international shipping shut down since April so who knows when you would be able to get one on the auction? Yes either from a dio or other front disc brake model they are same.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
dextermax
Noob
Noob

Post by dextermax »

Found a cheap one on Amazon! Thanks!
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

same brake switch can be found on bigger honda scooters like the 650 silverwing and all the 50cc+ pitbike/dirtbikes with disk brakes and lights. the master cylinder design is very common on all those front disk brake cycles.