Starting issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kyle3194
Noob
Noob

Starting issues

Post by kyle3194 »

Hey all,

Getting back into my two sprees, one busts off right away, doesn't matter how long it sits, starts right up and runs good.

My other one, will NOT start by itself when cold. I can prime it down the carb with mixed, and after it busts off from that it stays running. It also starts right up when warm. Just not sure what I am missing here. Cleaned the carb several times, checked bystarter resistance, checked petcock operation (works when started, so not thinking that's it). Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,
-Kyle
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: Starting issues

Post by vintagegarage »

The petcock on the Spree that seems to work perfectly may be stuck open, so that it doesn't need vacuum to start the fuel flow. On the other Spree the tiny hole that leads from the float chamber to the bystarter well might be blocked, so the bystarter can't find that first shot of fuel. Fill the float bowl with gasoline while it is on your bench, and watch to see if the bystarter well fills up ok. On the one that is hard to start, try laying it over about 45 degrees to the side when trying to start it cold and report back what you find.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Starting issues

Post by Meatball »

Tough cold starts is also a symptom of a lean condition. Check for air leaks.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.