squish band on mini stroke af16

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

rag
Goped
Goped

squish band on mini stroke af16

Post by rag »

so I have an af16 with 44mm mini stroke crank 85cc kit, first on build did with piston 1/16 to 1/8 below cylinder on tdc, hear everyone about SQUISH BAND so after a few runs on motor thought I needed to get that right and set at .9 on squish band and temps increased, rejetted carb higher as that should bring temps down and temps went even higher, I have zx trans kit so I adjusted electric start to work on that and now even with new gel battery cant elctric start as acts like compreesion way too high, so why all the hipe about squish band? Just to act like we know what we talking about or what? 44mm mini stroke crank, 85cc cyclinder kit, 24mm polini carb and arrow pipe with zx trans and 9:1 gearing
rag
Goped
Goped

Re: squish band on mini stroke af16

Post by rag »

and ran fine before worrying about squish band, so love to hear the input since squish band and since everyone makes that out as so important
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What is the engine's compression value? 0.9 mm squish is only part of the story. The volume of the combustion chamber at TDC is the other part. Shoot for 140 unless you can get your hands on Racing Fuel - 110 Octane.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
rag
Goped
Goped

Post by rag »

i was at 120 b4 messing with it on compression but why does everyone wanna make a big deal out of squish band when seems as if compression is more important
rag
Goped
Goped

Post by rag »

I live 1 mile from zmax dragstrip so race fuel isnt an issue but that doesnt fix too much compression for the work that I put in so electric start would work with zx trans setup, correct? so lets put more focus on compression ratio in the future and quit with all the squish band and anyone that has their motor apart and building it should know wether piston is gonna hit the head
motormike

Post by motormike »

rag wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:32 pm lets put more focus on compression ratio in the future and quit with all the squish band
You sound annoyed by somebody that has been preaching the importance of "squish".
I know nothing about squish.
I don't use squish.
I don't really need to know about squish.
I'm sorry your first attempt to learn about squish has resulted in poor outcome.
If you want to know more about why squish is important to those people,
Maybe you should call out to those people and have a question and answer thread about squish.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
rag
Goped
Goped

Post by rag »

wel I am irritated/annoyed as they wanna preach squish band { all technical} and you think its something very important but then when you do that your stuff is all messed up that you already did, i built an af05 with Malossi never did squish and ran fine should have done same with this, just do it and check compression and roll with it
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

i dont think ive ever mentioned squish in any of my posts or threads. being irritated with "everyone" is a pretty broad statment, just like them there squish talkin peoples.
guess what? maybe you learned something, then again maybe not.... getting mad at someones free advice is not what you should be mad at. you should be mad at yourself for not leaving good enough alone.. you dont even know what you are really mad at. all youre rant is about is you tried this and it didnt work. malossi says this and you say that. bla bla bla. be a leader or a contributor not a complainer. do some homework find out what squish is about and for and what the importance of compression ratio and the relationship the 2 have. the balance of the 2 with the addition of a million other variables that there are. what works for a person in a dry cool 4000+ ft elevation might not work for a person in a humid sea level climate.
there are the same fundamentals being used, just different variables. that require a different equation to arrive at a similar outcome. what works for me, might not work for you. * i have built 2 identical engines that 1 will usually be faster than the other. because of little things, like 1 set of bearings a little looser than the other. something so minor that you cant feel the difference by the human touch, yet that motor becomes faster and you dont know why, unless you have the experience and knowledge to figure it out. thats nothing an internet forum can guess or tell you with 100% certainty. they/we might suggest our ideas and theories, but it will be you that has to positively confirm or reject these opinions into a positive answer by physically working through all these things.
what i now tell you that the real optimal squish is exactly in between your original amount and your current amount at .9mm, or 60% or 40% etc. you get the idea. it is yours and only your decision to check it out or go back to your stock setting. you might even think this thought instead of me suggesting it. curiosity killed the cat... but its the cats curiosity that got him where he got, not my suggestion. i didnt put the gun in your hand. and tom just told you where it was. * just gave you a boost to get to it. while harry only showed you how to use it. you pulled the trigger. thats your bad. you should have taken this new squish info and studied up till you understood it and then played with it or not.
instead of throwing a tantrum, chalk it up to life experience and move on. or actually do some homework and school these everyones on the points missed or hopefully help inform a future JR scoot when they have the same curiosity that led you down this current path. or maybe youll just point and laugh? who really knows?
good luck in your quest for every 1/10 hp you can squeeze out.

ps: the actual perfect squish is really 1.11mm. 0.9 is way too small... :newb: :2thumbs:
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

24mm pwk carb is to small
better get a pwk 28mm
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I run 0.4 squish on my mini and its a ripper. Ethanol-free 93 octane and never had any detonation/pre-ignition or heat issues...once I got the jetting sorted of course. Its a race ported Corsa bore and not MHR so it could be apples to oranges.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.