'85 Spree Weird "Backfire"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gothhonda
Noob
Noob

'85 Spree Weird "Backfire"

Post by gothhonda »

Hey y'all! Been working on a Spree for the lady out of some parts bikes I had laying around. She's been running pretty well the past few days, a zippy 28mph. It seems to happen randomly, but I'll get some strange throttling when I rev the bike on the stand, almost as if spark is intermittent. A pretty loud bang will come out of the exhaust, then the bike will die.

I've build a few Sprees, and even more scoots, but I haven't ever experienced anything like this before. Is this a timing issue? I was under the impression that these bikes had fixed stator plates- no timing adjustment needed. The exhaust pop sounds like some of my pedal-start mopeds when there's a late spark. Could this possibly be a fuel delivery issue, or an electrical component failing? It's got a fresh plug and coil, and a CDI box that works fine on my other bikes. I have a multimeter, but I'm unsure of the order of operations for testing. Anything helps, thanks!

Julian
'85 Honda Spree
'86 Honda Spree / variated AF05e swap WIP
'89 Yamaha Zuma
'78 Honda Hobbit / Malossi 70, SHA15,
motormike

Re: '85 Spree Weird "Backfire"

Post by motormike »

Notice any intake or exhaust leaks?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
gothhonda
Noob
Noob

Re: '85 Spree Weird "Backfire"

Post by gothhonda »

Not that I’ve noticed! Using the unrestricted pipe, stock carb, stock air box and filter, and fresh gaskets all round.
'85 Honda Spree
'86 Honda Spree / variated AF05e swap WIP
'89 Yamaha Zuma
'78 Honda Hobbit / Malossi 70, SHA15,