Elite SA/SR50 Upgrade Path, Want Budget Speed? VIEW THIS

This is the repository for hop-ups and mods for Elite and Spree. Look here for information on exhausts, porting, cylinders, intakes, and suspension mods.

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Elite SA/SR50 Upgrade Path, Want Budget Speed? VIEW THIS

Post by burnt_toast »

Enjoy the guide folks!

Personally, I would say upgrade the exhaust.. With that said, let me come up with a plan for you. It's gonna be similar to what I'm hoping to do with my spare SR tentatively, once I have funds. I will actually go farther in case you decide you'd like more out of her in the future. :)

And if possible, do in this order for best noticeable results ;)

Part - Price (sh included) - Possible seller
1. R1 Exhaust $165 Daywot (or PG Short/Long if you wish..)
>>> Skip mod #1 if doing Mod #4, for now
2. Keli Pulley + lighter weights $48 Daywot
3. 9:1 Upgears $50 VT Cycles (May go lower ratio for future..)
4. Contessa bore kit $230 Daywot
5. Center Spring 1.5-2k $15 VT Cycles (Get now or regret later)

Tuned that should net near 50-55mph top, at ~$275-345 total

From there you can cruise or wheelie and start saving for whichever step you skipped, and also a bigger carb and manifold.

>>Skipped step here #1 OR #4
6. CT Manifold $50-60 Indycycleranch or ebay
7. 21-24-28mm OKO carb $90-120 VT Cycles
8. Adj Throttle Cable $10-15 Daywot or VT
9. UNI Airfilter $30 Local MC shop or VT (Do Not get KN gauze type)

Now RE-tune and enjoy a boost in midrange and increased top speed of ~60-65mph (higher if smaller initial drive gears) At total of about $700. At this point you may be contempt, if you'd like more, tires and misc essentials might be in order first:

10. Michelin S1 Tires $50x2 Local MC shop, cheaper online
11. New Honda OEM belt $40 VT Cycles
12. Malossi Rollers $20-30 ebay or VT? (worthy investment at this point)

Now you're at a cool $860, able to cruise 60mph somewhat safely thanks to better tires and ready in case you bust your belt due to too much hp! You daringly want more? With this foundation you can now port your bore, port the intake, upgrade reeds, raise compression and see beyond 70mph on a budget of 2stroke knowledge and skill! 8)

Disclaimer: I have never done this exact path! It is only an educated guess of a good solid, reliable and fast setup that can be built over time and allows you to budget chunks at a time based on information I've gained and personal experiences with upgrading scooters! I am not to be liable for any misleading assumptions due to ignorance or lack there off in building a potentially risky liability prone vehicle. USE CAUTION, READ, RIDE, BE SAFE

All parts links (Note some are ebay, so temporary)
Daywot Store - Contessa bore, pipe, keli
CT Mani
VT Cycles - Bore, pipes, call for gears, OKO Carbs
Malossi Weights, possible source
Michelin S1 3.0-10 Tire, Can fit 3.5 on Rear

After putting this together I now realize I've probably spent MORE than I anticipated with my Corsa built SR72 :shock:
And she's worth every penny :mrgreen:

Also thinking this would make for a dang good sticky :D
Last edited by burnt_toast on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
projects galore :nerd:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

burnt_toast wrote:
Now you're at a cool $860, able to cruise 60mph somewhat safely thanks to better tires and ready in case you bust your belt due to too much hp!
For that much I can get a decent roadbike that will do 100mph no problem box stock. Once you get past 55mph 9upgrade wise) or so on a ped/scooter you cross the economy/* of it line.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I sure don't want to spend that kind of $. But I do want 50-55mph, and I want to hit 50-55mph quick. I was happy when I hit 48 on my 87 down slight incline. This post will help out alot though.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

9:1 gears and a aftermarket drive pulley will get you to 55, porting will make it get there faster.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:9:1 gears and a aftermarket drive pulley will get you to 55, porting will make it get there faster.
gears and pulley will only get you to 50mph.

My friends Sr is perfect. the cylinder is like brand new and it runs amazing. We put 9:1 gears and a pulley from VTcycles and it does 45-50mph.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

dude, the sr is the derestricted version of the s and with 9 to1 gears i got 53mph before going to metric tires?
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:
Now you're at a cool $860, able to cruise 60mph somewhat safely thanks to better tires and ready in case you bust your belt due to too much hp!
For that much I can get a decent roadbike that will do 100mph no problem box stock. Once you get past 55mph 9upgrade wise) or so on a ped/scooter you cross the economy/* of it line.
Then easy, dont do these mods ;)

Some people choose to treat their peds as more than just a scooter. For instance INstead of getting a motorcycle I made my Elite do everything I wanted out of an actual bike, plus I like scooters for personal reasons.

I'd also like to see this "decent roadbike" for $860, keep in mind if you include scooter price only rough bike apply here, so you're skating with say a grand.

I frequent craigslist often and let me tell you WONT find a "decent" roadbike for that price, unless its old, has a problem, no title, some flaw. Decent roadbike to me would be 500cc streetbike suzuki or kawasaki and either go for much more. Plus again, its a matter of preference. ;)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

maddog wrote:dude, the sr is the derestricted version of the s and with 9 to1 gears i got 53mph before going to metric tires?
And? I'm not saying its not possible. I've actually low balled the initial numbers but wouldn't you be that much happier when your bike goes even faster than mentioned?

Thats the standpoint this guide was written from. With key point, budgeting money at a time and investing into a modifiable project over time.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

haha 860$$$ sounds cheap when i think of how much i have in my silly aero! i know, aero is much more expensive to build!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

scooterwerx wrote:haha 860$$$ sounds cheap when i think of how much i have in my silly aero! i know, aero is much more expensive to build!
yup. its funny ppl sometimes don't realize how much adding adds up until you actually put the numbers together
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have low standards, I like old. I have that holy gift called the magic touch, when I start playing with it, it runs. My def of decent is

Running or very close to it
Something that resembles a seat
at least half the electrical works
clutch is good and shifts though all the gears properly

And with s*** the way things have been going stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper. See my my thread where I got a 250 kawi dirtbike plus a d*** near mint parts bike with a blown motor (could part out and make well over $500) for a go kart I paid $50 for!
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

I think i will start with bore kit, pulley, gears, and 1.5k center spring. Roughly $350. Or minus the bore kit and do some porting like kenny said ($113), then go from there. Little at a time!
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

thats why i have 4 scoots and each one has a purpose but they at least go 50+mph.
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

ok, my 87 se50 has .25 over piston and bore, port and polish motor work, high speed pulley, and lighter aero drive pulley. It hit 45 all day long and hit 47-48 on a better day. Everything else stock. Maybe I will start with motor porting and polishing per Kenny, high speed pulley, gears, and center spring. That better get me to 50+ mph and quickly. R1, Carb, 72cc malossi, and manifold over time. I'll post results when done and tested.

1 more thing i want to test is the weight difference from the stock 87 drive pulley to the aero drive pulley. Stock 87 is 12.5 ounces, 86 aero pulley is 8.3 ounces. I'm sure with the lighter pulley the revs would be better, but i wonder if the heavier pulley would give more momentum and top end?
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »