Scooter got a case of the squirrelies?

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Scooter got a case of the squirrelies?

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

First off, Grandpa(the member of this forum, not my Dad's Dad) gets credit for making me realize this.

If everything looks straight CHECK THE STEERING BEARINGS! Put it on the stand, get the front wheel in the air(sit on seat), and try to wiggle the handlebars, if you detect ANY play, you need to tighten the nuts holding the front end together. If the handlebars turn without any drag you might want to do this as well.

HOW TO FIX

1. Unbolt floorboard(but do not remove the floor) fairing and horn cover, remove fairing and horn cover.

2. Remove the largish bolt that holds the handlebars to the forks, pull the handlebars off and let em dangle off to the side.

Should look like this now.

3. Unbolt the ignition switch(with bracket) from the frame, let it dangle.

Now you need a big wrench and somebody to hold it on the main nut while you work on the lock nut, I believe mine was a prop stolen from the set of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

4. You now have access to the the steering bearing tension nuts, the small nut locks the big one. Hold the big nut while you back off the small one, then tighten the big nut until you have the drag set the way you like, tighten the small nut onto the big one once its how you want it. Check drag again.

5. If the bearing feel rough now you should replace them, Wheelman offers some advice in this department.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Also check for notching of the bearing races and replace if present. If it clunks several times as you swing through the steering arc, the bearings are unsafe at any speed.

6. Reassemble and enjoy notriding white knuckled to keep the bike steady.
Last edited by Kenny_McCormic on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Steering Head Bearings

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Good advice spews from KMcC. Also check for notching of the bearing races and replace if present. If it clunks several times as you swing through the steering arc, the bearings are unsafe at any speed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Good point, edited in.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.