help getting spree started!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

imtyson
Noob
Noob

help getting spree started!!

Post by imtyson »

help!! i need help getting my spree started!!

so here is my story! i bought a spree for 400 dollars knowing that it would not start, thinking it was just a carb and jet cleaning.

they guy did not have the key so i knew i would have to get one made. i looked online on honda spree forums to get a understanding on how to hotwire the spree. most of what i got out of reading was to connect the red and black wire together.

well i tried that and nothing seemed to happen. i compressed both breaks switched the ignition switch to on and tried to electric start it. no anvil... :(

next thing i tried to do was buy a new battery and i tried to cross the red and black wires where the ignition was and tired to start it no anvil!

well, i research more and saw that i was missing a fuse on the positive side of the battery wire. would this cause the bike to not start? i am going to buy a 7.5 amp inline fuse and try it out in the morning.

also i have a oil line that i dont know where it goes to...? and for some reason the previous owner put two screw drivers on two hoses which i dont know goes to what.... can anyone please give me input on this please? i am trying to get this darn thing running. i have included pictures to show my struggle... haha

this picture is of the ignition switch. my index and middle finger is holding the black and red wire. and this is where i connected the wire together.

this picture i want to know where i am going to splice and add a fuse to the black wire or red wire...? confusion!

here is the fuel line and the two with screw driver connected to them. i dont know what the two plug up hoses are...

close up

where does this oil line go!!
patthesoundguy

Re: help getting spree started!!

Post by patthesoundguy »

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=26518 that will give you some insight into the switch. You must also disconnect the green wire and black/white wires from the switch as well as connecting the black and red wires together other wise you will have no spark. Down load the manual it will show how the oil pump connects and has the electrical schematic. Do you have a multimeter and possibly a test light? With out a meter you are flying blind trying to fix electrical. Does the engine crank? If it does the missing fuse is not your problem. The fuse needs replacing though unless you want a fire under your b u t t. I'm guessing that somewhere there is some insulation rubbed off a wire some where with the wire bumping the frame and there was a short hence the missing fuse. Make sure the battery is fully charged, clean the terminals and clean the connectors on the battery cables. With the battery connected and the red and black wires jumped, you should have the tail light on ( if the bulb and battery are good and wiring is correct) Just put a jumper wire in the black red wire connector so you don't cut wires and have to reconnect them when you get a key. You also have to disconnect the jumper if you leave the scooter or the battery will go dead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

ahhh okay. i will give that a try. i dont have a kickstart on my spree so i am only able to use the electrical start.

also the lights dont turn on at all when i plug in the red and black wire, but i just bought the battery new yesterday.

im guessing and hoping its just the fuse that is causing this problem but i am not too sure about it yet.

i do have a multimeter, and i get no crank because i get no lights or electrical at all.

so if it was the fuse can you guys give me a run down on where to splice and cut the positive battery terminal wires. because on the positive side
there is two wires one is red and one is black. which wire would the fuse be put on the red or black one?
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Just curious all the effort to start without a key...
when you can get a key cut for less than $20.....
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

even with the key it wouldnt work if i didnt know how to get power to the bike. i want to just make sure this moped works. and this is the best solution to see if the spree even turns on without dishing out 20 dollars first.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

your lights wont work untill the engine is running
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

okay so here is what happened. i went to go buy a inline fuse 7.5 amp put in jumped black and red wire. unplugged the green and black one on the ignition. held the brake down tried to start it no go. and my fuse keeps blowing...? wahhhh! i uploaded 2 pictures to show what i did. is the inline fuse in the correct wire on the positive side?

swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

You should ensure you have the oil pump hooked up and the primed before starting... just my opinion.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

i just any signs of electricity... but none is working... i need help lol .
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

so i think ii found the culprit!! i jumped the starter relay! and it would crank! but it would not start. so im guessing its the relay. my next step now is clean the carb and jet wish me luck!
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

You can repair the relay if the coil is not fried... there are post on here for that.

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... 26_Service
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Make sure you don't have a short here is a diagram that will help trace the routing and make sure the fuse is in the right place. Image

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
imtyson
Noob
Noob

Post by imtyson »

thank you, you guys are the best, but my problem is not fixed. I have a question. now that i jumped my starter relay and i hear a crank. what does this mean? does this mean my starter button is broken? and how do i get it started from doing this method of jumping the starter relay? i also cleaned the carb as well. all i can get is crank.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Start from the battery and work your way out starting with do you have ground at the frame. Pull the ground wire by the regulator and clean the wire connector and point of connection with the frame. With the wiring diagram you find start to trace where everything goes. So if you know the start switches have power that comes from the tail light to supply power to the start relay test the tail light bulb, so if it gets power it lights up its a built in test light kinda. Get the manual and print off all of the schematics for the wiring.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

imtyson wrote:...okay so here is what happened. i went to go buy a inline fuse 7.5 amp put in jumped black and red wire. unplugged the green and black one on the ignition. held the brake down tried to start it no go. and my fuse keeps blowing...? wahhhh! i uploaded 2 pictures to show what i did. is the inline fuse in the correct wire on the positive side?
Let's back up to this question a moment, the ask another related to *how/where* you jumped around the starter relay

1) Your photo shows the 7.5 amp fuse inserted in between the battery and starter relay.
This is incorrect. The correct fuse location is in the red wire between the battery to Ignition switch.

The reason the fuse blows in your current wire connection is the starter draws more than 10A when cranking, Starter nomimally rated at 120w (12v/10A).

2) Next question - When you tested jumping around the starter relay, what were your connection points?
I can see if you jumpered around the fuse you wired in from Red to Red/White the starter would crank
If jumperd right across the Starter relay connecter it will blow the fuse same as if the relay was good.

-- 'Arm chair' Troubleshooting --
From - afar and your prior postings. I'd say this:
In your original problem, you were blowing fuses, This tells me all is ok with the start button and relay.
I'd recommend a change which needs to be made anyway - The fuse should be moved to the correct location.