Honda Spree and Elite 50 Forums

Keeping Spree Elite Aero 50cc and Gyro Alive!
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:24 pm 
Noob
Noob

Hello I just bought a Honda Spree that had the engine rebuilt not to long ago and his son was riding it and it just died and wouldnt start again. That is why he was selling it. So I bought it and checked the normal.

Has Spark.
Cleaned Carb and is getting fuel.
Replaced Gas.

The only thing I cant check is the compression because I dont have a gauge. What else could be the issue here that I havent checked? This is my first moped. Thanks!

Last edited by MARGR4V3Z on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 pm 
Elite
Elite

Air filter. If its old it could break up and gunk up the carb. Go to oreilly or autozone and do the loaner tool program. They have compression testers and as long as you bring it back within 24 hours you don't have to pay for it.

You need compression, spark, and fuel. And if you have fuel and spark already then you need to check compression

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:46 pm 
Noob
Noob

bfowler wrote:
Air filter. If its old it could break up and gunk up the carb. Go to oreilly or autozone and do the loaner tool program. They have compression testers and as long as you bring it back within 24 hours you don't have to pay for it.

You need compression, spark, and fuel. And if you have fuel and spark already then you need to check compression

Air filter is brand new as well.

I am going to run a compression test tomorrow.

I am testing the bystarter as we speak and the needle has not moved in 10 minutes. I tested it outside the carb. So I think that might be an issue?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:57 pm 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

That certainly could be it. You also need to to the vacuum bystarter test in the manual to be sure. Did you check the bystarter right to the battery or a battery charger? Might be as simple as a loose connection. I would not be surprised if the top end was not broken in properly and its cooked. The compression test will tell you. And if the compression test is wonky pull the head and have a look at the cylinder. In the meantime prime the cylinder with a little premix and see if it pops off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Noob
Noob

patthesoundguy wrote:
That certainly could be it. You also need to to the vacuum bystarter test in the manual to be sure. Did you check the bystarter right to the battery or a battery charger? Might be as simple as a loose connection. I would not be surprised if the top end was not broken in properly and its cooked. The compression test will tell you. And if the compression test is wonky pull the head and have a look at the cylinder. In the meantime prime the cylinder with a little premix and see if it pops off.

Ok Im not sure how to do the vacuum bystarter test. I used a jump box for the bystarter. I will post results tomorrow on the compression.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 pm 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

The manual has the vacuum test in it. There is a hole in the intake side of the carb that feeds the bystarter circuit with air. What you do is see if and when the hole allows air to pass. I can't remember exactly have to check the manual, but i think air is supposed to pass when cold and not when hot. An ear syringe from the drug store can do the test, just stick the end in the hole and squeeze if it will deflate easy air passes if it stays stiff no air is passing. Simple. And using one of those jump start packs is a good idea, if it doesn't move in a min or so its likely toast. At least the vacuum test will tell you which way the needle is stuck. If its stuck in the hot position then you can choke the intake of the air box to start it until you get a new bystarter.

80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:26 am 
Noob
Noob

Just did a compression test and received 25 PSI.... doesnt sounds good. While I was turning it over I put my finger by the head gasket and I could feel air coming out. Could it be a bad gasket?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 am 
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

pull the head and look at the gasket ..... and why your there with the head off rub some oil on the jug as as well ...
swimmingfree

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 am 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Take the spark plug out. Pour a small amount of oil down the hole then do another comp check. If your comp goes up significantly you need rings and a hone. If it doesn't go up much you have an air leak at the head gasket.

*Hondaspree store*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 pm 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

swimmingfree wrote:
pull the head and look at the gasket ..... and why your there with the head off rub some oil on the jug as as well ...
swimmingfree

I agree pull the head and inspect the gasket and while you are there have a look at the cylinder walls are they shiny and are they scored. That is after you try graphite9's oil in the cylinder comp test :-)

85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:35 pm 
Noob
Noob

patthesoundguy wrote:
swimmingfree wrote:
swimmingfree

I agree pull the head and inspect the gasket and while you are there have a look at the cylinder walls are they shiny and are they scored. That is after you try graphite9's oil in the cylinder comp test :-)

Ok I put some oil in the cylinder and it read over 100 PSI. Here are the pics of the cylinder. What do you suggest I replace?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:22 pm 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

That's in rough shape dude. I'm not sure if honing will fix that cylinder. I'd hone it and see then if its toast go new cylinder piston and rings from Taz. It may have 100 psi but it won't for long and it will fail if it keeps going like that.

85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:01 pm 
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Yea looks like you need a new cylinder ring and piston. Then figure out what caused that damage. Oil in the Cyl make it read 100. Which means its probably around 80-90psi. That top end is no good.

*Hondaspree store*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 pm 
Noob
Noob

graphite9 wrote:
Yea looks like you need a new cylinder ring and piston. Then figure out what caused that damage. Oil in the Cyl make it read 100. Which means its probably around 80-90psi. That top end is no good.

Ok now I dont know which Kit to get. Stock one or Big Bore kit? What are the differences and dont you have to bore out the head with a big bore kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... 3384decd59

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ5 ... 3384501268

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 pm 
Elite
Elite

In the item description for the BBK it says no modification needed