83 Aero NH80 Roller weights

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jakubman1
Elite
Elite

83 Aero NH80 Roller weights

Post by jakubman1 »

Ok so a few of my roller weights have flat spots on them. I can order a set from Honda for 25 bucks plus shipping. Will the ones from Honda last as long as after market ones like Dr.pulley Slider weights? Which ones would you get ?

Also my clutch bell is shiny and has deep grooves in it. I sanded them down a little...but would i be better off rebuilding the clutch? The pads seem like they have plenty of meat left.

Thanks
Jakub :thumbwink:
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Re: 83 Aero NH80 Roller weights

Post by jakubman1 »

Also i cant seem to find the oil cap gasket part. Oil spills out a little over bumps. What is the proper name of the part? Does anyone know where to find it? I checked ebay and only finding the oil tanks

Thanks
Jakub
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Is this the oil seal for the cap i need? Its for an 85 model. Mine is 83....

http://www.cmsnl.com/nh80-aero-80-1985- ... 0ejF9QrKt8
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Don't buy the Honda weights they are horrible. Buy the koso ones they are great! I have been running those in my aero 80 for years and still going strong. I have dr pulley sliders they are tough also but pricey buggers. 16 gram for the stock weights if I remember right. Can't remember the measurements though. I'll have to check when I get back to the shop. As for the clutch Bell get some 80 grit sandpaper and really rub that thing in opposing 45 degree pattern. So go around the bell in a 45 then swap the direction of the 45. Keep going around until the shine goes away. I tend to do swirls sometimes too but the 45 is easier to get it even because you can almost count the strokes. Might be a good plan to look for a new bell on eBay. I have wondered if there is an aftermarket bell or whole clutch that fits. Haven't had the time to measure and see.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

ok i ordered the 16 gram 18x14 roller weight by toso. 10 bucks. Now i gotta see if honda dealership would cancel my order :( If i would have known sooner lol.

I found a bell for a 1985 Aero 80. Are they interchangeable? Mine is an 83. Here is the site what do you think?? Its priced in eruos

http://www.cmsnl.com/nh80-aero-80-1985- ... #whereused
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I'd look at site like cheap cycle parts and look through the different years on the parts breakdown and see if the part numbers are the same through the years. I'm thinking yes they are interchangeable.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Yes they are .83-85.

Would it be better if i just let JWPartsPlus re do my clutch with kevlar pads? They did a great job on my Spree clutch and Bell. My pads could be mis aligned ? I also noticed my meaty pads have grooves in it also. My aero only has like 1500 miles. I can buy the new bell tonight and just have my pads re done. What would you do? Ive got the new belt also.
thank you patthesoundguy
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

If I could go to a local shop or send to a shop and have a clutch redone like that I would if they do great work and it's not too pricey. Lots to be said for re-furbing original parts to be better than new. I would grab the bell and do it up if it were me. I also want to figure out what aftermarket clutch fits so I can have a bolt on option as well.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

On your oil cap - I have had several 83's. None of the 83's have any packing - they are just ribbed push-in caps (maybe the ribbing rubber is removable?). Mine almost always have a little in the tray also but it doesn't cause any problems. I haven't tried on an 80 but I have had luck on other scoots squeezing a nitrile o-ring between the ribs - if you find the right thickness, it can create a tight seal.

When you mention a gasket, are you talking about the ribbed rubber piece that pushes down in the hole? Does your oil cap have threads?

BTW Pat, if you read this, while writing this reply, I looked in my top desk drawer and noticed that I still have an owner's manual for my 85 sealed in the original plastic (I think). Let me know if you still have your 85 and want it - doesn't feel complete unless you have the manual and tool-kit under the seat :D
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

On my oil cap there are ribs. But when I put it in the hole it is wiggly. Seems smaller than the pipe . I'll try to figure something.
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Is it easy to swap in a aero 125 engine into the aero 80? Or is there cutting and welding that needs to be done?
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Also when i replace my roller weights can i leave the grease cover off? Will this make my roller weights fall out if i leave it off?? Thanks

Jakub
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You should clean ALL of the grease out of the variator. The metal cap that bolts to the back of the rear of the variator is not needed and can be left off. But I haven't found it to get in the way of the ramp plate at all so it doesn't hinder top speed. It sure makes reassembly easier though.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jakubman1
Elite
Elite

Post by jakubman1 »

Alright! Thank you so much . I think my oil cap came off of another scooter. It's ribbed but it's wiggly when I cap it. Someone has already placed a strip off tire tube across to hold it.in better. Now I need to replace the oil lines. :)
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Another quick comment - the seal around the oil filler cap is a small problem but I've found that the bigger problem is the seal around the oil sending unit. It is sealed the same way - pushed down into the tank with the ribs forming the seal. I noticed that whenever I topped off my oil tank, I would get small spots of oil under the scoot after sitting. I finally figured out that the oil was seeping out around the top of the oil sending unit whenever the level in the tank was above the cap of the unit (the sending unit cap is below the filler cap).

This is where the o-ring trick is a lifesaver.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90